PDA

View Full Version : SEWELL families of Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire

Mary W Rogers
4th December 2005, 12:30 PM
The SEWELL family is in my husband’s family tree. Going backwards, they start with Mary SEWELL who married William WADDINGHAM, a mariner in 1823. Mary was born in 1799, a daughter of John SEWELL and Mary (BARRATT) of Winteringham in Lincolnshire. She had seven siblings.

John SEWELL, born in 1765, was the son of Charles SEWELL and Ann (WOOER) of Winteringham. John SEWELL also had seven siblings.

Charles SEWELL, registered at baptism as Charles SEWELLS was born in 1727 at Frodingham. His parents were Samuel SAWEL and Agnes (DOLBY) and the family lived at Neap House, near Flixborough in the parish of Frodingham, Lincolnshire. There were eleven baptisms of the family recorded at St Lawrence’s Frodingham. Of special interest is the variation in spelling of the surname. Samuel was recorded as SAWEL when he married Agnes DOLBY in 1706 at West Halton, Lincolnshire. Their children’s surnames were spelt (in order) as Jane SEWILL, Thomas SUELLS, Elizabeth SUELS, Sarah SUELS, James SUELS, Ellen SUESLS, Mary SHEWELS, John SHEWELS, James SEWELL, Charles SEWELLS and Agnes SEWELLS. The spelling of the surname quite clearly depended on whoever entered the details in the Register.

After much searching I believe that Samuel SAWEL is the same Samuel born to Samuel SAYWELL and Elizabeth (BENNETT) in 1682 at Worksop, Nottinghamshire.

Samuel SAYWELL, born 1644, was the son of Henry SAYWELL and Ellen BRIGGS who married in 1642/3 at Workshop, Nottinghamshire.

In turn Henry SAYWELL/SEWELL, born in 1615/6, at Worksop, was the son of Christopher SEWELL and probably Marye (BULLIVANT) his second wife.

This is as far as I have managed to trace the tree with the help of my daughter, Anne. I am confident that of the connection between the Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire branches. In every family the first or second daughter always bears the mother’s given name and in most cases, the father’s name was given to a son.

I would love to hear from anyone with a connection to any of the families mentioned.

Diana Kennedy
4th December 2005, 05:09 PM
Mary
Have you been in touch with Mike Sewell recently as he is also connected to your family?
Diana Kennedy

John May
29th August 2006, 01:04 AM
Hello Mary

I think I am related to your husband, through my paternal grandmother, who was a Sewell. I have a family tree that traces the Sewells back to Barrett Sewell (1804 - 1879). I also know that Barrett's parents were John (1769 - 1834) and Mary (died 1893 aged 82 years).

Given that your Mary was born in 1799, five years before my Barrett, and given also that she had a number of siblings, that her mother's name might well have been Mary Barratt; given also that your Mary and my Barrett both lived in the same small Lincolnshire village - I think Mary must have been Barrett's elder sister, don'yt you?

John May
29th August 2006, 01:11 AM
Hi again Mary

I am not familiar with this message software and sent the previous post off too soon!

I was going on to say that there is a discrepancy in the dates you and I have for John Sewell, Barrett's (and Mary's?) father. I have 1769 for his birth and you have 1765. Do you have any dates for his wife Mary?

Cheers.

John

Mary W Rogers
29th August 2006, 11:38 AM
Hi John

Good to hear from you. I have John SEWELL baptised at Winteringham on 14 Sep 1765, son of Charles SEWELL and Ann (WOOER). This tallies with his age at death in Feb 1834 aged 68 years. John had a younger brother, Thomas who was born in 1769.

It seems that you and my husband are indeed related.

Mary, daughter of John SEWELL and Mary BARRATT, married William WADDINGHAM whose daughter Francis married Hamlet ROGERS in 1864 at Winteringham.

Does this help to clarify John's birth?

Regards

Mary Rogers

char
5th September 2006, 03:32 PM
hello mary, have read your posting on Sole forum board, and we may have a connection from Charles Sewell and Ann Wooer.please contact if you would like more info.thanks char.