PDA

View Full Version : SEWELLs of Rutland, Northampton & Derbyshire

Edward SEWELL
2nd October 2006, 10:50 PM
I am a new boy to the Society and have been researching my SEWELL ancestors for a few years. I have a possible link to Theophilus SEWELL (or SUELL) b c1665 who married at Ryhall, Rutland in 1694 to a Mary. Their son William b1694 married in 1716 also at Ryhall a Catherine Holmes b1690.
I belive their son John c1720 - 1781 married Vartue Mary HAWGOOD b1725
at Langham, Rutland in 1745. Among their many children (15?) was Hannah
1759 - 1815. She did not marry but appears to have had a child by Christopher WILLIAMSON b1758 at Langham. This was Christopher Williamson SEWELL 1784 - 1868 who married Mary STEVENS 1784 - 1849 in 1808. Amongst their seven children was Christopher 1812 - 1888 who married in 1839 Elizabeth TURNER 1811 - 1862, they had nine children. Their third was John Turner SEWELL 1843 - 1917 who left Langham and married in Wittering (then Northamptonshire) Mary Ann BARNETT b1841 in 1863. They had six children when he appears to have abandoned his wife and children in Wittering about 1875 and headed for the Iron works in Derbyshire where he married again in 1876 at Alfreton to Jane DOOLEY b1850. and had two more sons. Mary Ann SEWELL remarried in 1882 at Stamford, Lincs. declaring herself to be a widow. She married Joseph CARTER 1847 - 1907.
Her son Ernest Edward SEWELL 1875 - 1934 left Wittering around 1900 for Hendon, Middlesex where he met Charlotte PRIOR 1879 - 1948 They were married in 1905 and had five children, their youngest Roy Edward 1919 - 1997 married at the end of WW2 in Brunswick, Germany to Ingeborg Anni KOLBE b1928. I am their only child and was born there in 1946. We all came to Hendon, Middlesex in 1948 when my father was demobilized from the British Army.
I hope I have not gone on too long for my first posting. I have of course greater detail of most of the above people and also of their brothers & sisters, marriages, deaths etc. I look forward to helping anyone with information I may have and maybe I will be able to extend my knowledge from other members.

rita a
28th October 2006, 12:47 AM
Edward,

I have just been looking through your thread - I too have a number of years ago tried looking into the Sewells from Langham - my lot come down from John and Mary Sewell. Have you been able to confirm the link further back?

rita a

Edward SEWELL
29th October 2006, 04:24 PM
Rita a
Thanks for your contact. I believe from information passed to me that John (1721 - 1781) married Vartue Mary HAWGOOD b1725 on 17 Oct 1745 at Langham, Rutland. John's parents appear to be William b1694 & Catherine HOLMES b1690 who married at Ryhall, Rutland on 2 Apr 1716.
William had brothers Thomas b1703, Cornelious b1707 & Henry b1708.
Thomas married Lidda HUZZE (or HUSSE) at Langham on 29 Nov 1725
Cornelious married Elizabeth CASTERTON at Langham on 1 May 1727.
These brothers parents were Theophilus SEWELL (or SUELL) b c1665 who married Mary (Surname N/k) at Ryhall in 1694.
Theophilus appears to have had a brother Cornelious b c1660.
I believe the information to be correct but I have not yet confirmed all the connections. Any help you can provide will be most welcome.
I do have a lot of information on these people's decendants.
Which line do you decend from?
You could call me on 01832 735248.
All the best Ed. Sewell

rita a
6th November 2006, 01:01 AM
Dear Ed,

Thanks for this information. I think that in the past I have been passed similar information and have as yet not been able to check it. From memory it looked like the earliest Sewells came from the Peterborough area.

Unfortunately it looks like your research has possibly been more thorough than mine and so I probably can not extend any real help with it. I think I shall try, when I can, to look at the Ryhall pr in case anything else comes to light.
I will let you know if I do come across something ese about these earlier Sewells.

rita a

Edward SEWELL
6th November 2006, 12:11 PM
Rita a
Most of my researches have been carried out via the internet. My next efforts will, like you, be to hunt down the relevant parish records.
It is good to have someone else working amongst the branches of our common Sewell ancestors.
I look forward to hearing from you
Ed Sewell

Deirdre McCumiskey
22nd December 2006, 04:59 PM
I am descended from John Sewell and Vartua Hawgood and have lots of information on the family (including Vartua's ancestors back to 1500!). Can you let me have your e-mail address as it is too detailed to write here. Best Wishes. Deirdre

Edward SEWELL
24th December 2006, 10:17 AM
Deirdre
Many thanks for your contact. I would love to see your info. on the SEWELL family and their offshoots. I can be contacted via the forum Member's List and look forward to hearing from you.
I wish you and yours a very happy Christmas.
Ed. Sewell

Roy Kruze
28th December 2006, 03:04 PM
As a fairly recent joiner I also have an interest in the Sewells of Rutland. My mother's maiden name is Sewell and I have links back to John Sewell (1795-1870) who was born in Uppingham and married Lavinia Swan (1801 -1874) in 1821. They lived in the villages of Wing, Lyddington, and Manton and had six children including Fanny (b1833) and Mary Ann (b1838). Fanny gave the Sewell name to her illegitimate son Arthur John Sewell (b 1856 Nottingham) who was the father of my grandfather John William Sewell (b1891, Nottingham). I have been unable to get back any further as yet and wondered if you can spot any links to your research?

rita a
21st May 2008, 01:46 AM
Dear Deidre,
I was just checking the forum and noticed that back in dec 2006 you replied to Edward Sewell regarding being a descendent of John and Vartua Sewell. I am also a descendent from this pair. I have always been intrigued by the name Vartua - and I wondered whether your researches have found out - why this name - is there a link further back?

best regards

rita a

Deirdre McCumiskey
17th July 2008, 10:51 PM
Hi

Sorry to have taken so long to reply but I have moved house and haven't had access to the internet for a while, also my Family History records have been boxed up and are in my garage!

Can you let me know which of Vartua's children you are descended from?

Many Thanks.

Deirdre

rita a
24th August 2008, 12:15 AM
Dear Deidre - sorry for late reply.

I believe my 3rd great grandmother, Jane Sewell, who married a Thomas Thrift in Oakham in 1826, is the daughter of Henry Sewell and Elizabeth:

igi : JANE SEWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 08 MAR 1802 Langham, Rutland, England

I think this Henry is possibly one of John and Mary Vartua's children:

again from the igi:

HENERY SEWELL Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 07 DEC 1755

Christening: 11 DEC 1755 Langham, Rutland, England

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: JOHN SEWELL Family
Mother: MARY

Although he would be an elderly father - have not found another Henry to 'fit the bill'. So I'm assuming that this is a reasonably good possiblity. My Jane went on to live and raise a family in Stamford , Lincolnshire.

It is a little while since I looked at my notes and I believe that when I did my original research back in the 1980s that the pr for Langham did not throw up another Henry.

Unfortunately I do not think I found the marriage of Henry and Elizabeth.

Hope this helps to see where I fit in

Rita a