PDA

View Full Version : John Sole born Bramshott Hants 1852

handl
29th January 2007, 09:25 PM
In 1891 Census John Sole and daughter Anna are living with George and Alice (nee Winter) Deadman in Foots Cray, Kent. His relationship is "cousin". I know something of his army service and subsequent move to Dorset from 1871 and 1901 Census. Alice Winter was born in Bramshott 1858, daughter of James Winter. Does anyone know anything more about the Sole/Winter or Sole/Deadman connection or where else I could look?? Any ideas welcomed.

Bob Sheldon
31st January 2007, 07:38 PM
We know quite a lot about Henry John Brambley SOLE, born 1852 in Bramshot and his daughter Anne or Anna, born 1883 in India and who later married in 1904. We did not know of a connection with Alice WINTER who you say was also born in Bramshot.

We would be interested to know if you are connected with the family and in what way.

Bob Sheldon
Name Co-ordinator.

handl
31st January 2007, 09:35 PM
Alice Winter was my Gt Grandmother. As John Sole is listed as cousin to the head of the household, I can only assume he was related through marriage. Either his own or did he have a brother or sister who married one of Alice´s siblings? Alice and George were married in Camberley. George was born in Ifield, Kent. I know quite a lot about the Deadman family, but not the Winters, unfortunately.

Bob Sheldon
2nd February 2007, 07:33 PM
I have checked John SOLE's tree and regret to say there are no WINTERs or DEADMANs. He did not have any brothers as far as we know but he may have had half brothers or sisters as his mother Elizabeth SOLE married an Isaac KINGSHOTT in 1855 at Bramshot when John was three. He married Lucy GIFFORD in 1881 at Bangalore during his army service in India and they had a daughter Anne who married Arthur THORNE in 1904 at Handley, Dorset.

I am sorry that we cannot help you further, but wish you well in your researches.

Bob Sheldon
Name Co-ordinator.

handl
2nd February 2007, 08:54 PM
Thankyou for that information. It confirms what I found on the IGI about Isaac Kingshott and I am in touch with another of his ancestors via another website. If I DO find out anything I will of course let you know.

handl
22nd June 2007, 03:23 PM
At last my puzzle has been solved. Alice´s father died when she was very young and she and her sister were raised by her cousin James and his wife Sarah (nee Kingshott). I have detailed information which has been verified thanks to various sources. Many thanks to you, too, for your input.

handl
28th June 2007, 11:41 PM
I wonder if you could help with another query.

Do you know when Elizabeth Sole died? Two possible dates are 1856 and 1865, both in Farnborough district. Isaac Kingshott had a daughter Hannah by Eliza Churcher in 1860, so was Elizabeth dead by then?

Also whilst researching my Sole/Deadman/Kingshott connections, I found that in 1845 Harriett Sole b.1827 married John Small b.1816 Bramshott. Do you have information about Harriett, parents or siblings?

Bob Sheldon
6th July 2007, 05:52 PM
Sorry, but we do not know when Elizabeth died; we lost track of her after her marriage to Isaac KINGSHOTT.

Interesting to note that Isaac had a daughter in 1860.

Regarding Harriett SOLE, she was an elder sister of Elizabeth. Both were the daughters of Edward and Mary (nee NASH) SOAL who were married in 1823 at Petersfield. They had seven known children.

Bob Sheldon