PDA

View Full Version : UK Sewell prior to 1695

susan hedeen
21st September 2007, 09:51 PM
I am seeking in the UK the parents of Timothy Sewell suspected birth ca 1690--1695--perhaps earlier, but not later. Timothy is found in the American Colonies by 1716. He is not connected to any of the known Sewell/Sewall families in the colonies at the time. In the colonies too early for immigration documentation. Ship passenger transcriptions lacking as most did not document individual passengers at the time and/or the records are inaccessible or didn't survive. I haven't a clue as to where in the UK Timothy was born. I am hopeful that a child by the name of Timothy born about that time could be found in existing trees of UK researchers or that someone has run across a baptism etc. while searching their own families. His first wife's name was Elizabeth Jeffrey. The names of their issued children were: John, Elizabeth, Timothy, Sarah, Margaret, Katherine, Rebekah. 2nd wife's name, Bridget Lyndsey with children Joseph & Anna. Most of the children were Loyalists to the crown during the War of the Rebellion (American Revolutionary War). All help is appreciated. Susan Hedeen

Pamela Best
22nd July 2008, 05:54 PM
Hi,

Have found these two Timothy Sewells On the IGI.

6. Timothy Sewell - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: About 1692 Of Carleton, , Cumberland, England but
This one married in 1717

7. TIMOTHY SEWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 27 JAN 1695 Saint Cuthbert, Carlisle, Cumberland, England. Father- Barnard Sewell

He may have been this Barnard born About 1664 Of, Carlisle, Cumberland, England.

and another born in 1641 at Carleton near Carlisle

Good luck
Pam

susan hedeen
22nd July 2008, 08:45 PM
Dear Pam, You are so kind. I have seen these two IGI posts previously, some years ago. I am thinking that I considered the two Timothy's one and the same; perhaps they are, and perhaps they aren't. One of the IGI entries is from parish records while the other is from an LDS member, thus it may have happened that the member saw the original copy of the parish records and coupled it with perhaps family and/or anecdotal records.
That being said, I also did some leg work finding some published genealogies for the Timothy & Jane issue--this was many years ago so my memory isn't specific, but I believe they remained in the UK for several generations. If I am not mistaken, I also believe that this Timothy & Jane were related to Barnard--at least in the genealogies.
I do not believe, however, that there was much source material attached to the genealogy(s) that I looked at, and we all are aware that often people get mixed up because they have the same name & approximate birth dates, and sometimes reside in same or near environs.
I haven't chased this trail of Timothy>Barnard for a good long time, and perhaps it is time for me to refresh my memories and dig a bit more.
I truly thank you for your kindness in contacting me. Susan