PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Dowell Sole/Edna Ida Sole - Charles & Sarah Sole & Edward James Sole

duncansole
22nd October 2007, 03:29 PM
Looking for any information of my grandfather, great grandfather and great grandfather- father was Derrick Sole, born 1927 in Cedars Road, Chiswick, London, son of Stanley Dowell Sole & Edna Ida Sole (Nee Carr Hall?) - Stanley Sole, my grandfather, played football and cricket for Kings College, London about 1920 at the age of 15-16? and also cricket for Ashford Cricket Club in about 1922, so reckon he was born about 1905. I have a gap in records then to a 1904 copy of a 1868 birth record passed down to me from my father Derrick Sole of Edward James Sole birth on 2nd March 1868 at Lock Road, Albion Street, Southwick, Sussex, son of Charles Sole & Sarah Sole (nee Allcorn) - the occupation of Charles Sole is listed as Wharfinger Journeyman! - any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob Sheldon
24th October 2007, 06:17 PM
Hello Duncan

Before receiving your message our records based on the GRO index have Stanley Dowell SOLE (born 1901 in Wandsworth) but the index does not state the father's name. However as you know Stanley to be your grandfather and your father held a birth certificate for Edward James SOLE of Southwick it is possible that Edward was the father of Stanley and your great-grandfather.

We know that Edward James married Amy Steward RILEY in 1894 at Eastbourne and they had a daughter Nora Amy who was born in 1899 at Greenwich. It is again possible from your information that Nora was the elder sister of Stanley.

We have traced Edward's line back to 1594.

The next step to establishing that Stanley was the son of Edward, would be to obtain a copy of his birth certificate.

I hope this is helpful and that you will consider joining the Sole Society (annual subscription is £10), when I would be able to go into more depth about what information we have in our records.

Bob Sheldon

duncansole
25th October 2007, 05:14 PM
Hi Bob Thanks for the info, will be joining the society, can you advise how to go about obtaining a copy of the birth certificate? - I'm a bit new to all this! Thanks, Duncan

Bob Sheldon
26th October 2007, 04:17 PM
Hi Duncan

Certificates may be obtained on line at >http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp< .

The information you will need for Stanley's birth certificate is :-

Name: Stanley Dowell SOLE
Date: 1901-SEP
District: Wandsworth
Volume: 1d
Page: 676

I believe the cost is £7.50

I look forward to you joining the Society and to receiving confirmation of Stanley's parentage.

Best wishes

Bob Sheldon