PDA

View Full Version : Solley in Kent

Sue Solley
12th December 2005, 10:11 PM
My interest in Family History began approximately thirty years ago. My maiden name is Pittock and shortly before my marriage my mother in law to be, gave me three photograph albums, all labelled dating back to the 1800s.
I thought it would be fascinating to see how all the family members were linked. The albums contained many photos of both the Solley and Pittock families. It was not long before I discovered that our two East Kent families had been married three times before us over a hundred years ago! I am pleased to say that the Vicar had no objections to a fourth!

My main interest is in Stephen Solley b. 1819 in Worth Kent and Louisa Canney, my husband's great, great grandfather, his descendants and ancestors dating back to Stephen Sollye who was born in 1550. To date I have discovered family members living in England, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

I am particularly interested that my husband's ancestors were predominantly yeoman or farmers in Ash, Kent as we are still farming in East Kent. Bob Solly kindly sent me some fascinating papers concerning James Solley (son of Stephen and Louisa) who farmed during the 1800s in Sholden and it was a rare insight into day to day farming life - the problems faced were not that different to what we have today!

Living in the East Kent area has made my Solly/Solley research easier and I have collated various other trees and branches. I hope through this forum I shall be able to make contact with other Solly/Solley researchers and share the information I have discovered.

I feel sure that my husband's Ash Solley ancestors and the Richborough line are connected as the photograph albums contained pictures from both lines - but to date we have been unable to find the missing link - the search continues..........

Robert Solly
1st March 2006, 03:07 PM
Sue

I had this e-mail:

I used to stay at the farm in the 1920s and wonder if any of the family are left. Derek, Paddy, Gwen, Barbara? There was a dairy in Deal owned by the family.

Douglas Tidy

Can you help him - (email address removed - Administrator)

Bob S

lizcromasaig
17th March 2007, 03:16 PM
My first posting to this forum, but just wished to add that my grandfather - Edmund (Gordon) Kemp used to work at Solley's Farm around the 1930's helping to load up milk churns onto the carts prior to delivery.

Liz