PDA

View Full Version : Sauls in Sheffield

miksaul
15th December 2005, 10:29 AM
I have recently become interested in my family name in particular its association with sheffield. My first visit to your site produced invaluble info on some lost relatives through the military section. I have now gone back to a thomas saul 1801 and wife elizabeth1797. the current project is to fill the gaps in below these two. there was a strong methodist influence and bricklaying/building occupation along the main saul line for a long period. I look forward to submitting a better resume in the future.

John Slaughter
22nd December 2005, 10:09 PM
I can identify Thomas and Elizabeth as the parents of six children born at Stainforth in Yorkshire. Stainforth is in the parish of Hatfield and the registers record the baptisms of Olive (1828), Peter (1830), Jane (1832), George (1836), Betsey (1838) and Joseph (1840). Betsey was buried as an infant in 1839. The three sons later moved to Sheffield and raised families there. We have some information on the families but Mike clearly has information that will bring our chart more up to date.

Thomas was not at home on the 1851 census night but I have just loooked up the family on the 1861 census. They were at Moss, Yorkshire with Thomas being recorded as 60 years of age, a bricklayer and born Norton, Yorkshire.

Norton is in the parish of Campsall where the registers contain numerous entries for Saul. Amongst the baptisms is recorded a Thomas Saul on 25 February 1800 to John Saul and Elizabeth Spencer. Though this seems to tie in nicely we have, in fact, married off this Thomas to an Elizabeth Latham who were married at Kirk Sandall in 1822. We have also recorded 10 children born to this couple between 1823 and 1845 but then the whole family seem to disappear.

miksaul
15th February 2006, 04:13 PM
Following on from previous work I have now extended the tree down from Thomas and Elizabeth.

I have had no success in tracing the two surviving sisters from these parents, but have managed reasonably well with the three sons Peter (1831) George (1835) and Joseph(1841). My line follows down from Peter who had three children William (1853), Lucy(1856) and Anne(1859), from his first marriage and I think one more from a second marriage James Latham who died aged twelve.

Again I have struggled with the ladies but it does appear that lucy died young. William went on to marry Frances Saddington and they had six children. Wilfrid, Lucy, Frances, Charles, Ebenezer and Frank. Wilfrid was a bit of a wild card and seemingly went against the strong methodist influence, he had two children Osmund and Carmen Eloise ! The latter went on to marry and I believe had two children. I am currently trying to track them down to hopefully find out more. I met Osmund in 1980 but sadly he died not long after that. Lucy married but had no children, although it appears she sort of adopted one of her nieces. Frances never married and remained a staunch methodist, going on to inherit from Father William. Her will left money to some 40+ nieces and nephews.

Charles had ten children including two sets of twins, moving to lincolnshire where the last child was born. One of those ten who shared his fathers name also went on to have ten children! I have just made contact with the daughter of one of the second ten. Ebenezer had three children, two girls and a boy. The two girls are still alive and I have been in contact with one. Her memory is excellent and she has helped considerably. I am descended from Frank and can do that bit of the tree easily!

The line from George seems to have remained in Sheffield. The longest and the next task is to sort that section out. There obviously was contact between the lines as one of the George line was a witness at Wilfrid's wedding.

I have also made contact with a descendent from Joseph.

miksaul
8th March 2006, 02:37 PM
John, your reply to my original post seems to contain some errors. Following discussions with Harry "married to a saul" Watson in Scotland it appears we have tied the hatfield six to thomas and elizabeth nee Latham. we have come up with two additional births William in 1823 and charles in 1825, christened in Kirk Sandall.william is born just under a year from their marriage date.Charles appears with the family in the 41 cencus. Both wiliam and charles go on to be bricklayers
There is however another Thomas and Elizabeth Saul who appear to have their first child Henry in 1830 Campsall.There is no trace of their marriage on the igi listing but there are quite a few children therafter. I suspect william and Charles have been linked with the wrong parents which has thrown someone. As with all these issues there is no doubt scope for us to be wrong aswell !