PDA

View Full Version : Sewells of Holkham

johnsewell
21st April 2008, 11:22 AM
Diane kindly wrote about my Sewell family tree in the dec07 journal. I had tracked them back to Paddington and an Edward Sewell my ggg grandfather a builder ,marrying Letty Eales in 1809. I was fortunate to find his will in the national archives and find the street name and area, "Lisson Grove" where he lived. Searching on a2a.org using the area as a marker I found house insurance documents for his wife and son, the information therein gave an added depth of information about their lifestyle. Lisson Grove gave me a lateral link to Ann Sewell daughter of Francis Sewell of Little Walsingham who was living in Lisson Grove. Francis went to live in Paddington in the late 1830's working as a carpenter. A lucky lateral search on the internet for "Francis and Lisson Grove", threw up him on a Norfolk electoral register living at 13 Charles Street in Lisson Grove, where my gg grandfather lived with his family. Thus I am sure Edward Sewell was the brother of Francis, and born in Holkham in 1780. .I am now waiting for a copy of the will of John Sewell their father a yeoman of Norfolk living in Holkham who died in 1807.
From that I can now go back to 1675 with the IGI
I have been lucky to find wills and insurance documents that have helped me trace links and thus extend my family tree, other than BMD........... give it a go!!
Is there anyone out there related to the Sewells of Holkham /Little Walsingham builders and carpenters?
My next search is to look at the building of Holkham Hall (1730 to 1790's) to see if my family were involved in its construction.

cheers
jonathan sewell