PDA

View Full Version : Selina Saul / Garwood Jaggard - looking for clues!

NJ-John
1st August 2008, 06:43 AM
Hello Saul-Mates,

According to a chart left by my GF Robert Vincent Jaggard, his Father was Garwood Jaggard, and his Mom was the elusive Selina A Saul..... Records left by RVJ note that Selina A Saul was born in 1875, not 1843 as noted in the http://sole.org.uk/p50_60.htm reference.

I would geuss Selina might be daughter of one of the other siblings of Vincent and William Saul?

I have a few things from William Saul's trip to India with British Forces during the seige of Cawnpore (kanpur now). Apparently there were not many to escaped that siege and a medal was found in the teak/ivory box from my moms estate commemorating this.

Additionally, I have a locket that was said to be William Sauls that says "In Memory of" that has a lock of hair as well. written note from RVJ states that Williams Sister died while visiting in India.

The Selina Saul mentioned in the http://sole.org.uk/p50_60.htm was born in 1843, but the one on RVJs genealogical chart was 1876. Compounding, most ancestry.com info shows her as being born in 1857 and passing in 1947?

Does anyone know of this Selina A. Saul, or any sisters of William that died around 1857 in India?

FWIW, there was also a little card that read : "Camp Vincent Saul" and mentions Templar Knights? This makes my brain spin around, having only seen references in the DaVinci Code movie! Whats that connection all about!

Thanks!

John Westerdale
New Jersey, USA

Census from 1851 in UK:

Name Age
John Saul 33
Louisa Saul 13
Selina Saul 8
Vincent Saul 4
William Saul 10

Donovan
19th August 2008, 02:56 AM
Thank you Garwood but I think this must be a different family from mine. There seems to be an awful lot of name duplications years ago. My Selina Saul was born and raised in Buxton. She was my maternal grandmother, married to Arthur Edward Saul of Norwich, timber merchant. His father was William Staff Saul who lived on Pottergate street in Norwich. My grandfather and grandmother are buried in Rosary cemetery in Norwich. Les Saul

NJ-John
19th August 2008, 06:12 AM
Donovan,

Thanks for your reply!!! Names from that era were pretty similar. Lots of williams and roberts and a few johns thrown in for fun!

I have found the course,

William Married Sarah Apperley, and they had 3 children, while living in Boston (not to be confused with Buxton mind you!). One was Selina Saul (B1875) which was probably named after his Sister (Selina Saul b 1843) who may have died while visiting him in India?!?!

Need a place to search the Mil.archives... Can anyone provide a clue as to how to search out William Tomkins Saul from the detachment in Cawnpore during the Mutiny of 1857? I do have a medal thats engraved on edge:

Wm Saul, 3rd Bengal Eurp Reg

Am learning lots from reading, but, have little history from Boston from US Census:

1880 United States Federal Census

Name: Selina S. Saull
Home in 1880: Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Birthplace: Massachusetts
Relation to Head of Household: Daughter
Father's Name: William T.
Father's birthplace: England
Mother's Name: Sarah
Mother's birthplace: England

Marital Status: Single
Race: White

Household Members:
Name Age
William T. Saull 35
Sarah Saull 26
Selina S. Saull 5
William E. Saull 3
Ada L. Saull 10M

My Grandfather reported Selina Saul(l) as B 1857.. but ... I Think this may be 1875 instead....

http://www.wells-genealogy.org.uk/apperley/james.htm

Thoughts any one?

John Westerdale

martin saul
9th July 2010, 11:18 PM
Hi just found part of a message while searching on line is it one you started ? Hello Saul-Mates, According to a chart left by my GF Robert Vincent Jaggard, ... Have no initials but do have a photo of her and her father. .... saul, leamington priors. Hi trying to find more info on Charles Saul his war record is logged on this site. his address is down as 24 walton street leamington, to my. ...

Charles is from part of my tree would be interested in hearing from you.
Regards
Martin