PDA

View Full Version : Where to begin?

gemwassewell
21st July 2009, 10:26 PM
Hello, I'm new to the site and have been interested in researching my past for a while now. I don't have alot to go on and just wondered if anyone has any advice as to where I should start?

My maiden name is Sewell and I can only go back as far as my grandparents. I know their names and I think I have their birth dates and death dates and that's it. I'd really love to research further back and fin out more (and without it costing a small fortune!)

We're from Norfolk and I'm wondering if we share a link to Anna Sewell?? Any help would be very much appriceated.

Thank you

Diana Kennedy
22nd July 2009, 05:54 PM
Hi
I co-ordinate the Sewell name for the Sole Society. A good place to start is with your grandparents and go back a step at a time. A birth certificate should give parents name a marriage certificate fathers names. With these you should be able to go back another step. Unfortunately it can be very expensive. If you would like to send me more details I would check our records to see if we can be of help, maybe someone else is also researching the same line. There were quite a few Sewell families in Norfolk other than Anna Sewell's family which is quite well documented.
I look forward to hearing from you
Diana