PDA

View Full Version : Sauls Of Norfolk

Donovan
9th January 2006, 01:03 AM
My family line has been traced back to 1752 and John Saul of Stalham.

The family marriages involved Smallburgh and Buxton and my particular line was involved in the timber business in Great Yarmouth and Norwich. My maternal grandfather married a Selina Sutton of Buxton whose mother's maiden name was either Chessum or Cubitt, both names were given to Selina's youngest son. Both my paternal great, great grandfather and great grandfather served as police magistrates in Great Yarmouth. I have no details concerning John Saul of Stalham other than I believe that he was an agricultural labourer.

I would like to go back farther in this line to John Saul's forebears but have so far found no information about him or his wife who was named Jemima Francis. I can only assume that Francis was her family name but it may be a mis-spelling of a second name Frances.

Any further information about the Sauls of Stalham or Smallburgh would be welcome.

Sandune
17th April 2006, 11:28 PM
Hello Donovan

I have a JOHN SAUL son of JOHN & MARY bap 6 March 1728 Catfield. Catfield is only a couple of miles from Stalham.

If this is not the date of your John Saul, let me know when he was born and I will look out for him.

Some others in my data:-
RICHARD SAUL s of SOLOMON & RACHEL bap 28 Nov 1784 Potter Heigham
ANN SAUL d of SOLOMON & RACHEL bap 18 Jan 1789 Potter Heigham
FRANCES SAUL d of JOHN & FRANCES nee TINKER bap 1 Aug 1758 Tunstead
ELIZABETH SAUL d of WILLIAM & SARAH bap 28 Nov 1804 Smallburgh

ANN SAUL = JACOB HARMER 18 Nov 1734 Dilham
JOHN SAUL = FANCES TINKER 18 Nov 1750 Tunstead
MARTHA SAUL = THOMAS SALER 21 Apr 1760 East Ruston
MARY SAUL = ROBERT BANYER 27 June 1776 East Ruston
WILLIAM SAUL = SARAH NEAVE 11 April 1804 Smallburgh

Hope these are of some good
Regards Sandune:p

Donovan
4th May 2006, 10:50 PM
Thank you for your reply of April 17. Sorry to be so long but have been out of circulation with a bout of bronchitis.

I have a fairly complete family tree insofar as principal descendants and children are concerned. However I would like to find the ancestors of my 5g grandfather, John Saul, born Stalham 1752. All of his children were born in Stalham and most of them died and were buried there and I am hoping to eventually find out more about them. Your Sauls seem to be a parallel family.

I guess my thread was awfully general and not much help but you were very kind to take the trouble to reply. Donovan