PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Hannah SAULL

annette.busb
11th December 2009, 08:39 AM
Hi I am looking for information on my great great grandmother as above. She married my great great grandfather Joseph Sanders. He was a cooper and lived in Chiswick. I believe she was born in Hackney about 1824. Their son, William Joseph Sanders was my great grandfather
Regards
Annette Busby
Coromandel
New Zealand

John Slaughter
11th December 2009, 03:17 PM
It looks as though Sarah Hannah Saull married as Hannah Saul for in the GRO marriage indexes there is a marriage between a Hannah Saul and Joseph Sanders in the June 1849 quarter in the St James Westminster registration district. Is this the correct marriage and do you have a copy of the certificate?

A Sarah Hannah Saull was baptised on 24 October 1824 at St Matthew, Bethnal Green, London to William and Hannah Saull. I have taken this information from the IGI and the entry also records that Sarah Hannah was born on 7 September 1824. It is possible that they also had other children and possibly may be the parents of a William James Saull baptised on 11 March 1827 at St James Westminster.

Do you have any further information that may help to identify what became of William and Hannah?

annette.busb
11th December 2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks John, for this useful further information on the parents of Sarah. I read on this site that members of the Saull family often worked as coopers. is it likely to be coincidence that Sarah's husband, Joseph Sanders, was also a cooper?
Also, can anyone advise if any of these London branches of the Saull family were Jewish?
Much appreciated
Annette

John Slaughter
12th December 2009, 10:40 AM
Annette

I think it is quite likely that the father of Sarah was a cooper. Most of the Saulls originated from the Byfield area of Northamptonshire and a large proportion of these were coopers. If you were to obtain the marriage certificate I mentioned this should show both the name of Sarah's father and his occupation.

As regards a Jewish connection I have only ever found one Saul family that appeared to be of Jewish descent. I think it is the name leads people to this assumption.

John

annette.busb
12th December 2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks John - I will follow up with the marriage certificate
Regards
Annette