PDA

View Full Version : Sewell of Byfield

chelle
16th January 2006, 01:28 PM
I am researching the Sewell family who I have traced back to Henry Sewell (c1828) Byfield. I am doing this research for a friend, so obviously I am not actually related, but I am very interested in this subject. Henry Sewell married Eliza Cox, they had 7 children, one of them was Joseph Henry Sewell (1868) born in Leamington Hastings. He married Mary Ann Bertha Bastock, they had at least 3 children, the youngest of these was George William Sewell - my friend's father. If anyone has any info on the Sewells of Byfield I would be very grateful.
Thanks

bramt
20th November 2006, 02:12 AM
Hello

I just saw your posting on this site and promptly signed up to it as my mothers (Sewell) family originate in Byfield. Your Henry is the brother of my great grandfather, George Thomas Sewell. George married a Martha Prestidge and had two boys, Arthur J Sewell and my grandfather, William Thomas Sewell who both later moved to Lancashire. William worked in the cotton mills. Unfortunately George Thomas died fairly young, in 1866 aged 30, and is buried in Byfield church cemetery.

Also in the cemetery are two young ladies, Lucy Gardner SEWELL who died 23rd of July 1894 aged 20 years and her sister, Clara Ann Sewell, (married name Dennis) she died Oct 3rd 1897 aged 32. They are buried side by side near the church gate, they are second cousins twice removed to your Henry and my George Thomas.

The parents of both Henry and George Thomas as you probably know by now was Thomas Sewell, b 1806 in Byfield and Martha (Smith) who was born in Ducklington, Oxfordshire she was baptised 25 December 1803.
Marriage Source:
Copy of Marriage entry at Northamptonshire Record Office:
Marriage by Banns
19th October 1826
Parish of Chacombe
Thomas Sewel - Martha Smith
Elizabeth Sewell, Thomas's younger sister was a witness.
Also, William Bennett
Also here is the 1841 census record of the family;
841 Census, Byfield, Northamptonshire.

Thomas Sewell 35 Ag Lab Y
Martha Sewell 35 N
John Sewell 14 Lab. Y
Henry Sewell 12 Y
Samuel Sewell 11 Y
Susannah Sewell 10 Y
Mary Sewell 8 Y
Jane Sewell 7 Y
George Sewell 5 Y
Robert Sewell 4 Y
William Sewell 3 Y
Ann Sewell 11m Y

Hope this helps to fill in a few gaps? I would love to hear from you and your friend the member of the Sewell family who is possibly a cousin to me?

I can be contacted at bctaylor(@) internode.on.net, (without the brackets around the @). I live in Australia and have an enormous amount of information on the family.

If you go to the SOLE site and into the Gallery, in the SEWELL section are a number of photos that are of my Sewell grandparents and great grandparents placed there by me. Hope to hear from you soon,

Regards and best wishes,

Bram Taylor
Australia