PDA

View Full Version : Saul - Liverpool and Annan

Carol Saul
16th January 2006, 06:45 PM
The furthest I have got back is to Robert SAUL, a tailor from Liverpool, who married May JOHNS(T)ON there in 1798. I think it may be my Robert who has an entry in the 1810 Gores directory for Liverpool as a tailor.

Robert and May had just the one child, a son William SAUL, born 15th August, baptised 27th August 1800 in Liverpool, giving only the father's name, Robert. So I don't know what happened to William's mother, May - maybe she died. I would be most interested in any connections to Robert and Liverpool.

William died in Annan in 1871. He had various occupations including a sawyer, a teacher and an ag. lab., according to certificates and census returns. He is described as a "teacher of navigation", although I've not found the school - there would have been many. In family letters William is said to have been "an agent on a large estate and drank himself to death" - that's probably the ag. lab. bit! According to correspondence in America he was an educated man who taught navigation and languages, and also played the organ at the high English Church in Annan. I wonder what caused his descendence into drink.

William is reputed to have moved to Annan, Dumfriesshire, at the time of the building of the Caledonian Canal. He married Janet DOUGLAS (born in Cummertrees around 1809) but there are no surviving records either for Janet's birth or William and Janet's marriage. I uncovered a little bit of scandal on a visit to Dumfries a few years ago and found, in St Mungo's OPR for 1827, a baptism for Margaret to William SAUL and Jean MURPHY, Castlegates, fornication. I have not yet managed to trace Margaret under either Saul or Murphy.

William and Janet's known children, born in, or in places around Annan, include the following:-
Robert 1831-1847
William Johnston 1832-1832
William 1833-1848
Andrew b.c1834 - I lose him after 1851 census
Jane b.c1834, married James HILL 1864
May 1838-1860
Janet b.c1842, married William ROME 1862
Irvine 1843, married Anthony NICHOLSON, emigrated to USA 1869 and was known as Phyllis Irvine. I am in contact with a descendant who has provided an some wonderful "meat on the bones" of the family.
Georgina 1846-1847
Mary b.c1846, married William HIND 1873
Robert b.c1849, married Mary BELL 1875
William 1850-1896, a stonemason, married (1) Mary ARMSTRONG nee BEWSHER, 1881, Cockermouth, (2) Elizabeth SHEARMAN nee CARTMELL, 1885, Cockermouth - this is my line which moves to Keswick, probably after 1871.

Any Liverpool, or other connections, most welcome!

Carol