PDA

View Full Version : Solley in Ramsgate - name on death certificates

barbara
30th January 2006, 02:11 PM
:) :) :) I have found on my Grandmother's and her sister's death certificates the name of Solley as the person who registered the death.

On my Grandmothers certificate the initial looks like I.J.Solley. My Grandmother died approx 1963 and was living at Limekiln Cottage Ramsgate. Her name was Sarah Attwell formerly Johncock. Her sister was Florence Freeman formerly Johncock and she died in1973. The address was 79 Sea Road,Westgate-on-sea.

The name on her death certificate is James Frederick Solley and the address is 40 Auckland Avenue,Ramsgate. I am wondering if the Solley who were mentioned may have been undertakers or were they related to my Grandmother and her sister. Any information would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks, Barbara

Sue Solley
2nd February 2006, 12:05 PM
Hello Barbara,

Further to your posting on The Sole Society Forum concerning James Frederick Solley who appeared on your Grandmother’s death certificate – I have discovered a bit of information for you about James.

He was born in 1877 in Ramsgate the son of William (Mariner) and Mary A. Solley. By the 1891 Census, his occupation is listed as Mariner living with his parents at 24 Hibernia Street, Ramsgate. I did also locate a marriage of James Frederick Solley (Thanet) in December 1899. I have checked the 1901 Census and found James married to Louisa (Solley spelt Solly) with son William living in St. Lawrence (Ramsgate) Kent.

In Kelly’s Directory of the Isle of Thanet for 1959, I found James F. Solley living at 40 Auckland Avenue, Ramsgate.

Hope the above will be helpful with your research.
Best Wishes and good luck!
Sue Solley

janetlowe7
18th February 2006, 04:55 PM
Hi Sue,
My Grandad was James Frederick Solley , and my father James Frederick Solley, of Auckland Ave, looks like we can help each other.

Janet lowe ( Solley):)

janetlowe7
18th February 2006, 09:01 PM
Thankyou Sue, for your reply.

My father was born in Dover 1905 his father was also James Frederick Solley born in Ramsgate 1877. He married Louise Marler, born in Ramsgate 1877.

James's father was Willam solly(Solley) born 1850 in Ramsgate married Mary Ann Brown born in Sandwich 1850.

William's Father was William Solly (solley) born 1829 In Ash next to Sandwich, married Emma Eliza Coldsmith born in Ramsgate 1827. I don't know if he was part of the farming Solleys in Ash that you are searching for, all I know of him is he was a seaman and had about 13 children,

Thank you for any help.

Janet