Mary 55 Y formally Robinson ]
William 30 Labourer Y
Sarah 25 Y
Mary 25 Cotton Factory Y
John 15 Cotton Factory Y[ in 1851 he is living as a single lodger in
East Street bothchergate by 1853 is married to Mary Douglas no Marriage
found in England or Scotland
Mary 6mths Y[who does this child belong to ] I presume her name will be
Sewell was she the child of Mary Sewell ?

1851 census [same family as above ]
East St, Botchergate, Carlisle
John Sewell 69 Head M Cotton Weaver Carlisle Cumberland
Mary 68 Wife M Weaver Wife Wigton Cumberland
William 41 Son U Weaver Son Carlisle Cumberland
Sarah 36 Dau Wid Weaver Daughter Carlisle Cumberland[widow but no
married name ]
Joseph 9 G/Son Carlisle Cumberland

My interest is John Sewell age 15 in 1841. I can't find a birth for John but it does say on later census that he was born Preston Lancs. Did his parents move briefly to Preston [no birth found in Preston] I have all his history from the birth of his first son James Sewell born in Carlisle in 1853.

If anyone knows anything about this Sewell family please get in touch as this has been my brick wall for over 20 years

Thanks

Audrey

Brenda Ord
17th March 2006, 02:51 PM
Dear Audrey - I'm having problems managing to reply to your kind offer of help by my thread so I'm going through your own thread .
Any info on Sewells born 1890 onward in Walker or Newcastle would be great .
I know very little about the family.
Info on William's children whom he had with wife Isabella Moffet, dates ranging from 1892-1908 ish:
William , John , James , George , Minnie ,Jane , Alice ,Norman , Margaret.
I know about Honora Ethel 1900 = my grandma.
Also the family of John Sewell and Lucy, both of Norfolk who are in the 1891 census with their family living in Walker . William lived with them in 1891 in Staith Houses, Walker .
Hope you get this message ( my 3rd attempt)
Brenda

audrey
17th March 2006, 03:23 PM
is this your family in 1881

Dwelling: 12 West St
Census Place: Shildon, Durham, England

Marr Age *** Birthplace
John SEWELL M 39 M Washilthorpe, Norfolk, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Miner
Lucy SEWELL M 40 F Shelfanger, Norfolk, England
Rel: Wife
Harry SEWELL U 18 M Shelfanger, Norfolk, England
Rel: Son
Alice SEWELL U 15 F Norwich, Norfolk, England
Rel: Daur
Honour SEWELL 3 F Tudhoe Colliery, Durham, England
Occ: Scholar
Elizabeth SEWELL 8 F Tudhoe Colliery, Durham, England
George SEWELL 13 M Old Shildon, Durham, England
John SEWELL 11 M Old Shildon, Durham, England
Samuel SEWELL 6 M Tudhoe Colliery, Durham, England

audrey

Brenda Ord
18th March 2006, 01:04 PM
Yes Audrey that is the family who moved to Walker by 1891. I have traced George Sewell from the family and he was living in Church St. Walker in 1901 and married.
Brenda

Lisa H.
29th August 2006, 04:33 PM
I, too, have a Sewell line in Carlisle, but I don't know if there's a connection. My gr-gr-gr grandmother was Mary Sewell, daughter of Joseph Sewell, a butcher. Her marriage to Thomas Sleddall, a Gentleman formerly of Kendal, was registered in Wigton in the Parish of Bowness. She was married in the parish church on 15 July 1840, witnessed by Christopher Maling and Rachel Armstrong. Per the 1841 UK Census, the couple resided at Bush Street, Poulton le Fylde, Co. Lancashire, and Thomas's profession was "Ind." Mary caused the accidental death of her husband, Thomas, by over-administering laudanum on 6 October 1843 at their home on English Street in St. Cuthbert, Carlisle.

Mary's year of birth has been most commonly reported on Census as abt. 1815 in Carlisle, but I did find a baptismal registration for a Mary Sewell born to a Joseph and Mary Sewell on 28 June 1812 at St. Cuthbert, Carlisle on the LDS web site. Don't know if this is "my" Mary's christening yet or not.

Mary's father, Joseph Sewell, was not noted as deceased at the time of her marriage to Thomas in 1840. But, when she finally remarried to James Little in Carlisle on 26 Nov. 1864, her father was specifically named as deceased on the marriage certificate. I did find on the internet the Kirkby Thore Directories (1829), with "Sewell Joseph, butcher" listed in Temple Sowerby.

Maybe someone can connect Joseph Sewell, the butcher, to their line? Or someone can prove or disprove the parentage of my Mary Sewell? I've never found a Joseph Sewell, butcher, on the 1841 UK Census.

Lisa

Lisa H.
21st February 2007, 01:27 AM
Audrey,

I extracted the SEWELL baptisms, marriages, and burials from the St. Cuthbert's parish registers microfilm 1813-1830 (LDS film number 90579). I think these baptismal entries may pertain to your line of the SEWELL family (all spellings exactly as they appeared in the register):

Page No. 60, Baptized October 1, 1815, Entry No. 478, Christian Name Sarah, John & Mary Sewell, St. Cuthbert's Lane, Weaver, J. Fawcett, Curate

Page No. 83, Baptized September 15, 1816, Entry No. 664, Christian Name Mary, John & Mary Sewell, St. Cuthbert's Lane, Weaver, William T. Briggs, Lecturer

Page No. (None), Baptized November 7, 1819, Entry No. 1236, Christian Name Ann, John & Mary Sewel, St. Cuthbert's Lane, Weaver, J. Fawcett, Curate

The birth of son William would have pre-dated this microfilm, and I did not see the birth of son John. If his age was rounded up on the 1841 Census, it's possible his birth was after the cut-off of the microfilm. I'll have a look again when I go back just to make sure I didn't miss it.

Hope this helps! If you'd like a copy of my entire file of SEWELL entries from this microfilm, I'd be more than happy to share it with you. I did my best so hopefully there are no omissions or misspellings.
Lisa