PDA

View Full Version : Sewell Manor in Essex

John Rees
8th December 2017, 10:15 PM
In a column entitled Pen and Ink Sketches of the Colne Valley Villages, in The Essex Herald 25 January 1881 (British Newspapers through Find my Past) I find the following paragraph which might be of interest to East Anglian Sewells.

"But to leave road making in Yeldham and return to its history, I will merely add that formerly there was an estate bearing the name of Goddings, reckoned as a manor, and a wood in the parish yet bears the same name. In the Book of Alienations the principal manor is styled "The manor of Gelham, alias Geldham, alias Over Yeldbam, alias Upper Yeldham, alias Over Yeldbam Hall, alias Little Yeldham manor" There is an estate named Sewales or Sewells, which has retained its original name, given in 1584."

Bargens
27th April 2018, 03:37 PM
I don't understand, does the Sewells estate still exist? Very interesting information, regardless.

Ian
29th April 2018, 10:44 AM
I don't understand, does the Sewells estate still exist? Very interesting information, regardless.

I don't think it does as I can find no records of it in anything I have. When I was researching the area around Dunmow I found a few farms with names that would associate them with Sewell's that no longer existed or had different names. I suppose you would name you estate after yourself but over the years unless it was kept in the same family it is likely to have changed it name to something else.

Ian Sewell
Sewell Coordinator

John Rees
29th April 2018, 02:13 PM
If Goddings was ever a manor, and if the manorial court records still survive, then they may contain some reference to Sewell, as might other manorial records in the area. Much easier scouring online newspapers though :)

JonStacy
16th October 2018, 08:15 AM
I don't think it does as I can find no records of it in anything I have. When I was researching the area around Dunmow alternatives mentioned in this post. a few farms with names that how to get rid of gyno (https://www.outlookindia.com/outlook-spotlight/how-to-get-rid-of-gyno-aka-moobs-best-otc-supplements-for-gynecomastia-news-238274) would associate them with Sewell's that no longer existed or had different names. I suppose you would name you estate after yourself but over the years unless it was kept in the same family it is likely to have changed it name to something else.

Ian Sewell
Sewell Coordinator

Yep, that explains it. Many estates have changed names as they'be been sold.

HenryMcCollum
26th November 2018, 04:02 PM
I don't think it does as I can find no records of it in anything I have. When I was researching the area around Dunmow I found a few farms with names that would associate them with Sewell's that no longer existed or had different names. I suppose you would name you estate after yourself but over the years unless it was kept in the same family it is likely to have changed it name to something else.

Ian Sewell
Sewell Coordinator

Yes, I've learned this the hard way. I was looking for an estate and after searching for a couple of weeks I came to know that the estate had changed the name and I had passed by it a couple of times.