PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Saul of Coventry and Australia

Kevin Saul
11th July 2006, 01:44 PM
G'day everyone,
Not knowing where everything is in the UK, I have an interest in the Sauls from Coventry. My fathers' great-grandfather, Joseph Saul bn Islington Middlesex between 1832 & 1838. Married Emma Mansfield bn Coventry about 1836. His son Herbert Henry bn 19 Jan 1868 Coventry emigrated to Australia on "The Bann" 17 August 1882 arrived Sydney 13 November 1882.
I would be interested to hear from anybody knowing of this line.
regards
Kevin

John Slaughter
17th July 2006, 10:04 PM
Kevin

I can make some connections between the Saul family you mention and the Society records. The family headed by Joseph appears on the 1881 census at Hope Street, Coventry, where Joseph is the head of the household, aged 43 years and a watch cap maker. Also in the household is his wife Emma and children Emma E, Herbert H, John T and Agness Mary. Also resident is an Ellen Mansfield who seems lilely to be Joseph's mother in law. I can link the children to the following entries in the General Register Office birth indexes, all of which as recorded in the Coventry registration district.

1861 Emma Elizabeth
1868 Herbert Henry
1872 John Thomas
1874 Agnes Mary

There may have been other children as I found a Joseph Saul married in the Coventry district in 1856 which seems likely to be him.

On the 1881 census Joseph's birth place is given as Islington, London, as you state. I have also found on the 1851 census for Coventry a Joseph Saul, aged 17 years, an apprentice in the household of Christopher Kenney, a watch maker. This seems very likely to be your Joseph. His place of birth is given as Pentonville, Middlesex which is very close to Islington.

We have other Saul families that have roots in Islington so we may find connections but research is needed into the Islington parish registers which has not yet happened.

You mention that Herbert Henry emigrated to Australia in 1882. As he would have only been 14 years of age presumably the whole family emigrated. I would be interested in what further information you can provide of the descendants of this family. I would suggest that you e-mail me direct with this information.

Finally on the geographical front Coventry will be found in the Midlands area of England.

John

Kevin Saul
30th July 2006, 02:50 PM
John,
I am currently trying to get in touch with Ron Barnfield who wrote a book regarding this line of the Sauls. Will be in touch once I've had a yarn with him

Kevin

John Slaughter
5th November 2006, 11:02 AM
Kevin

Have you had any luck in contacting Ron Barnfield?

It now looks likely that we can link your Joseph to a Saul family that is currently being researched by several of our members. There are also tentative indications that suggest that the family may have originated in Norfolk.

John

Mike
13th November 2006, 10:39 PM
G'day everyone,
Not knowing where everything is in the UK, I have an interest in the Sauls from Coventry. My fathers' great-grandfather, Joseph Saul bn Islington Middlesex between 1832 & 1838. Married Emma Mansfield bn Coventry about 1836. His son Herbert Henry bn 19 Jan 1868 Coventry emigrated to Australia on "The Bann" 17 August 1882 arrived Sydney 13 November 1882.
I would be interested to hear from anybody knowing of this line.
regards
Kevin

Hi Kevin,
We share the same surname, which is not surprising as I believe Joseph Saul of Islington is my Great Grandfather, My grandfather was Herbert Henry, I presume therefore that you are decended from a brother of Herbert Henry.

I have only recently begun searching the Saul family line, prompted by a relative of the wife of Herbert Henry.

From my relatively brief enquiries so far, I have pieced together some of the puzzle and can add to the number of Children of Joseph and Emma as indicated by John, interestingly, my edest Brother is also Kevin.

regards,

Mike

Kevin Saul
16th November 2006, 01:13 AM
John,

Have spoken with Ron Barnfield. Has no problem let us copy the info. Unfortunatley he does not have copy on computer. He had others do the typing and is not computer literate.
Let me know how I can get the info to you direct.

Regards,

Kevin Saul

John Slaughter
18th November 2006, 07:48 PM
Kevin

If it is a typed document can it be photocopied and mailed to me? Suggest you send me a private e-mail and I will provide my mailing address. You will find my e-mail address in the Contacts section of the Sole Society's main web site.

Regards

John