PDA

View Full Version : Saul from NW England, Dublin

William Saul
27th August 2006, 10:36 PM
Hello, I'm a first timer at this so hope it worthwhile.
My grandfather, George Joseph Saul 24 July 1862 or 3 - 19 May 1949 and his brother Robert Saul 4 July 1857 or 8 - 6 October 1834 immigrated to the USA via Philadelphia 30 August 1883. Their nationality was given as England although George was born in Dublin and Robert in either Liverpool or Dublin. Their father was also named George Joseph Saul, said to have died due to typhus when George was age 5, and one of their uncles was John William Saul who became George's guardian. They had sisters Agnes Saul and Susannah Saul both of whom remained in NW England. I am looking for information regarding this family to confirm the above and to search further.

petersaul
20th October 2006, 10:08 AM
Hello William
I have only just seen your post. I have quite extensive files on the Sauls from North-West England. There are several separate family trees, linked only in the 1600s. I will look out possible links very soon.
There is also a strong Liverpool link, although several branches of the family have gone there at various times.
About 30 years ago, I had some correspondence with a John Saul in Dallas, TX. He had a very similar story to yours, i.e. family from Ireland, went to Liverpool, then to the U.S., probably 1850s. I will look out the letters to see what they have.

Regards
Peter Saul

petersaul
24th October 2006, 12:07 PM
William

I checked on the Saul family in Texas that I referred to. There were three brothers, Peter, Timothy, and John Joseph, the grandfather of the John Saul who was doing the research. They went from Ireland to England then to the U.S. in about 1880 or earlier. There did not appear to be a link to my tree, all of whom lived in North West England - what we call the Lake District. My ancestors lived there from at least 1601 to about 1876, when they moved to the area north of Manchester.

I can't help you with other links to Ireland, but maybe someone else can.

Regards
Peter Saul