Thread: SEWELLs of Clipston & Kelmarsh, Northants.

Default SEWELLs of Clipston & Kelmarsh, Northants.

I am looking for help in finding more details of the family of Johnson SEWELL b1819 Langham, Rutland, married Elizabeth CALLISS in 1847 and moved to Clipston and Kelmarsh in Northamptonshire where most of his children were born.
    There do not seem to be many researchers looking into the SEWELL family in the counties of Northamptonshire, Rutland and Derbyshire as yet. Where are they all? I suppose someone has to start it off!

Default Re: SEWELLs of Clipston & Kelmarsh, Northants.

Edward,

you are not alone looking for Sewells from Langham; have you been able to trace back from your Sewell in Langham?

there are quite a few of them and my 'lot' come down from a John and Mary Sewell;

rita a

Rita a
    Thanks for your contact. See my reply in the SEWELLs of Rutland, Northamton & Derbyshire.
    All the best
    Ed.Sewell

Ed. sewell.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Could you possibly throw some light of the origin of the name johnson?

I was intrigued by the use of what I assume was a surname as a christian name - the first one I gather was in 1819. The name appears to have been used by either as a first or second name by a few other parents since then. I have been trying to use the net to see if I could discover who Johnson of 1819 parents were. Unfortunately for me he had left home by the 1841 census - intriguing 'chap' - seems to have moved around a bit - Leicestershire, Lincolnshire and finally into Northants - and there is no reference I can find him for him in the IGI. I can not at present go and check parish registers. I would be grateful if you might have info on his parentage so that I can see where he fits into the Langham Sewells.

I have already appreciated the info you have posted - checking through the names on the censuses has certainly increased my knowledge about where the various Langham Sewells moved onto.

rita

Rita a
    Some time ago I was given part of a tree that includes Johnson SEWELL. It shows that he was Bp on 14 Jun 1818 at Langham, Rutland. That he married Elizabeth CALLISS b1823 at Allington, Lincs. at Allington on 17 Apr 1847 (ref Newark 15 773 Jun 1847). He died on 20 May 1893 at Clipston, Northants.
    They had nine children between 1849 -64.
    Johnson's parents were Christopher Williamson SEWELL b26 Dec 1784 and Mary STEVENS b1784 both at Langham where they were married on 27 Jul 1808. He died in 1868 and she in 1849.
    I hope this helps to slot Johnson in the tree for you.
    I still have'nt worked out where his name comes from.
    Which branch do you come down from?
    I come down the branch from Johnson's brother Christopher b1813.

Ed Sewell

Dear Ed Sewell,

Thanks for the information about Johnson Sewell and how he fits in to Langham Sewells.

My ancestors are also linked to John and Mary. My direct link is to one of Charles Wiliamson Sewell's mother's (Hannah bp 1759) elder brothers - Henry bp 1755. Henry married Elizabeth and I descendent from their youngest daughter Jane bp 1802 in Langham. Jane married a Thomas Thrift in 1826 in Oakham and by the 1841 census this family was living in Stamford.

Rita a

Rita a
    I am pleased to help where I can.
    I have Henry Sewell (1755 - 1830) married Elizabeth n/k (1755-1832) in 1780 at Langham, Rutland. Have you been able to find out her maiden name?
    If not, it looks like a trawl through parish records.
    Ed Sewell

Dear Ed,

Just been looking through my notes and I do not have a maiden name for Elizabeth. Unfortunately I did not keep a log of what research did in the past - ie the late 1980s and so I can not even say if I have looked and not found her name.

Going off on a tangent - its interesting how often the Johnson name occurs in later generations - including your own - which suggests possibly someone they wanted to remember - perhaps like so much in family history - its origin might remain a mystery.

I know I cannot get into Wigston to check prs in the immediate future - but will aim to go as some as I can and will pass on any new that might come to light

rita a