Thread: John Sole born Bramshott Hants 1852

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool John Sole born Bramshott Hants 1852

In 1891 Census John Sole and daughter Anna are living with George and Alice (nee Winter) Deadman in Foots Cray, Kent. His relationship is "cousin". I know something of his army service and subsequent move to Dorset from 1871 and 1901 Census. Alice Winter was born in Bramshott 1858, daughter of James Winter. Does anyone know anything more about the Sole/Winter or Sole/Deadman connection or where else I could look?? Any ideas welcomed.

Default Re: John Sole born Bramshott Hants 1852

We know quite a lot about Henry John Brambley SOLE, born 1852 in Bramshot and his daughter Anne or Anna, born 1883 in India and who later married in 1904. We did not know of a connection with Alice WINTER who you say was also born in Bramshot.

We would be interested to know if you are connected with the family and in what way.

Bob Sheldon
    Name Co-ordinator.

Alice Winter was my Gt Grandmother. As John Sole is listed as cousin to the head of the household, I can only assume he was related through marriage. Either his own or did he have a brother or sister who married one of Alice´s siblings? Alice and George were married in Camberley. George was born in Ifield, Kent. I know quite a lot about the Deadman family, but not the Winters, unfortunately.

I have checked John SOLE's tree and regret to say there are no WINTERs or DEADMANs. He did not have any brothers as far as we know but he may have had half brothers or sisters as his mother Elizabeth SOLE married an Isaac KINGSHOTT in 1855 at Bramshot when John was three. He married Lucy GIFFORD in 1881 at Bangalore during his army service in India and they had a daughter Anne who married Arthur THORNE in 1904 at Handley, Dorset.

I am sorry that we cannot help you further, but wish you well in your researches.

Bob Sheldon
    Name Co-ordinator.

Smile Re: John Sole born Bramshott Hants 1852

Thankyou for that information. It confirms what I found on the IGI about Isaac Kingshott and I am in touch with another of his ancestors via another website. If I DO find out anything I will of course let you know.

Smile Re: John Sole born Bramshott Hants 1852

At last my puzzle has been solved. Alice´s father died when she was very young and she and her sister were raised by her cousin James and his wife Sarah (nee Kingshott). I have detailed information which has been verified thanks to various sources. Many thanks to you, too, for your input.