Thread: Saulls of Holm Cultram (Quakers)

Default Saulls of Holm Cultram (Quakers)

Since registering my Sewell family in Dalston Cumberland I have discovered my gggg.gran. was a Martha Saull from Wolsty Holm Cultram,Cumberland her father was David Saull born c..1706 . Martha was the first born to Martha Waitt his second wife. wonder if anyone researching same family trying to trace back. Ken

Default Re: Saulls of Holm Cultram (Quakers)

Hi Ken,

I have quite a bit of info about the Cumberland Sauls - my line goes back through a Hugh Saul / Martha Saul (Tindale). Do you have any other information that I could cross ref with? My email is clive_saul@hotmail.com

Regards,

Clive

Hi, I am researching my family name of Garner and by luck managed to find my gx4 grandfather birth in the Quaker records of Holme Abbey Cumberland.
    His parents were William Gardener and Abigail Saull. They were married in 1773 in Holm Cultram Abbey and Abigail was aged 30 but their chidren were in the quaker records.
    Have you come across her?
    Claire

Claire

We have no marriage listed for Abigill only a baptism on 5 Aug 1735 at Wolsty, Cumberland. Her father is listed as Joseph Saull bap about 1711 Mother Ann Drake born abt 1703 and married on 17 Oct 1734. They had three children Abigill bap 5 Aug 1735 at Wolsty, Cumberland. John bap 10 Oct 1738 and he became a shoemaker. Joseph bap 8 Oct 1741 Wolsty, Cumberland. John married on 24 June 1767 at Beckfoot and had 9 children.

Abigill according to your records had two children 1776 and 1778 which would have made her 41 and 43 respectively according to my records. I think this would have been unlikely as marriages tended to take place at an early age in the 1700's. Have you any further information to give me so I could look further?

Norman

Thanks Norman,
    Looking at their marriage record at Carlisle record office I am sure it reads aged 38 at the time of her wedding with Joseph and John Saul as witnesses.
    I am sure it is the Abigail you have B1735 and would love any info about the family
    Regards Claire

Question Re: Saulls of Holm Cultram (Quakers)

Hi

I have just joined as a new member, and I am looking for Saul/Saull,re Holme Cultrum and Maryport.

My GGG Grandmother was a Martha Saul, b Maryport c1799, her Father was David Saul, B 1769 Holme Cultrum ( He was christined with his Father Moses on 25.5.1781, with his three younger brothers, John b 1770, Asa b 1772, and Joseph 1776. ( listed as former Quakers).

I have a entry of Birth for David son of Moses of Blittoltown ( not sure of the spelling). and Martha his Wife Twelth day of the Twelth Month 1768

Moses Saull was born 1742 Wolsty Father David Saull Mother Elizabeth

David Saul married Mary McCuck, 1794 Crosscanoby, in 1795 the family moved to Maryport, where 6 children were born, some time later the family moved to Carlisle, where David Snr is listed in the 1841 Census as a Joiner.

Is there anyone who has any infomation on the above

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Moses Saul was b 17/1/1742 Wolsty parents David Saul 1706 and Elisabeth Keddy. He was their first child. They were married on 28/2/1741, she was from Cockermouth. They had two other children Elisabeth 1743 and Ann 1743 and both seemed to have died in 1744 and also their mother. David married Martha Waite b1721, in 1745 and went on to have another 9 children.

Davids father was John Saul c1672-1720 wolsty and mother Elisabeth Benson married on 3/12/1697.

Moses Saul ? married Martha Twentyman (c1742 ) on 25/5/1768 at Bromfield
    David was b 12/12/1768 Blitterlees

Regards Claire

Smile Re: Saulls of Holm Cultram (Quakers)

Hi Clare,

Thank you very much for the information regarding Moses Saul b 17.1.1742Wolsty. and for the name's of his parents, all I new was that Moses married Martha Twentyman, in Broomfield. in 1768.

David Saul b 1769 married Mary McCuck 8.9.1794 in Crosscanonby, thay had 6 children, Sarah c 16.2.1795, Ann C 10.4.1796, James c 31.12.1797, Martha c 23.6.1799, ( my ggg Grandmother) David c 13.12.1801,and Mary b 8.5.1808
    c Aug 1811, the christening's of all the children took place in Maryport,

Do you know if any of the 9 children from David Saul and Martha Waite second marriage are related to the "Ostles."

Regards Dawm

Dawn

The information in your messages have been extremely helpful. You have provided us with a clear link between the Quaker records and some of the Sauls at Maryport, which although suspected, was lacking concrete evidence. The key is your comment that the baptism entries in 1781 at Holm Cultram show they were formerly Quakers. This will enable me to link the tree of David and Mary McCuck to one of the Quaker trees.

Can you tell me when and where Martha married? Do you also know what became of Moses and any of his other children? There was a John and Jane who had children baptised at Maryport between 1797 and 1813 and when John was buried in 1827 his age is recorded as 56 years. This suggests that he may be a son of Moses.

Claire had given some of the information we have about Moses and previous generations. All the information that the Society holds is freely available to members and I hope you will be interested in joining. If so, you can do this online at our main web site.

Hi John

Thank you for the e-mail regarding Moses Saul, I don't know a lot about what hapened to his family, except for David b 1768, who married Mary McCuck, in 8.9.1794 at Crossconby, I have only found a death date for Asa Saul he died 1857, Kendal Lancashire. David died Carlisle 1853, and Mary 1848. I have no information regarding John and Joseph.

David Saul Snr, was a Joiner, his son James b 1797 was also a Joiner, David b 1801 was a Millwright.he married Hannah Kellet, in 1827 Crossonoby, Sarah their eldest daughter never married, found a death for a Ann Saul 1880 in Whitehaven.

Martha Saul was born 23.6.1799 in Maryport, as well as the other 5 children of David and Mary. she married William martin on 2.2.1828, he was the son of William Martin of Allendale Northcumberland. Martha Martin nee Saul died 30.8.1868, William Martin d 4.12.1869, both William and Martha were handloom weavers. in Carlisle, they have 9 children three of which grew up and married, the other children died young.

John Martin b 1837 married a Margaret Cowen, both John and Margaret Martin came to Australia in 1862.

Hope the above information is of some help.

DAwn

Hello All...after a long delay due to illness I have eventually logged in to my original message and ..wow. Thank you Clive for family info pre 'David Saul' b.1706. Like John I have been able to use info from the messages i..e never knew about Moses born to David and Elizabeth Keddy. Dawn asked if their is a connection to the Ostles through one of David Saul and Martha Waite's children....yes my 3x g.grandmother Mary Hewitson was born Mary Ostle in 1780 at Goody Hills her parents were William Ostle of Plaskettlands and Mary Shannon. Mary Ostle married Keddy Hewitson b.1777 in Holm Cultram presumably Abbey Church 27 June 1807. Keddy was the son of Thomas Hewitson and Martha Saul the eldest daughter of David Saul and Martha Waitt. Now something for Claire Garner the second and third children born to Keddy Hewitson and Mary Ostle married 'Garners' i.e Rachel married Joseph Garner and Thomas Hewitson married Ann Garner. My gg. grandmother Jane Hewitson was the youngest of Keddy and Mary Hewitson's family. Apologies for straying..maybe info is of some use(see also my postings on Sewell forum)
    Ken Dixon

Hi Ken

Thank you for the information regarding the connection between the Ostell's and David Saul...... There is a web site at http;//graham.dunmore.org, you may all ready know about it, but, I found there was quite a lot of information on the Saul's and the other names you mention'ed . My daughter sent me by e-mail copies of the originial records from the BMDregisters.co.uk , which is on the Internet. with these I was able to trace the Saul's back to 1500's through the Graham Dunmore web site. I found that the Saul's start with two brothers, Jefferay Saull, and Robert Saull, one of Jefferay Saull grandsons, also called Jefferay, b 1560 maried Annas Ostell 21.12.1584, she d 1590, he then married Isabel Ostell 24.11.1590. ( Jefferay and Robert Saull,) are also in the IGI. Hope the above is of help to anybody.

Dawn