My particular interest is in Thomas and Elizabeth Solley of Richborough and their descendants - they are my 3xgreat-grandparents on my father's side. However, I admit to being easily sidetracked by almost anything to do with the name Solley/Solly in East Kent! My excuse is that, given the variations in spelling, you are never certain what may or may not be relevant.

I took over research into the family history after the death of my father Bill Solley in 1996. He had delved into the Solley family history on and off for many, many years, so I was lucky enough to inherit a wealth of information, documents and photographs etc. Over the last few years my own research has added considerably to the family tree helped not least by the general helpfulness and generosity of the many contacts I have made through the Sole Society and elsewhere. My research has also now extended into the other side of my father's family (Sidders and Attwood, also from East Kent), as well as my mother's family (Vaughan and Spencer, mainly from Derbyshire, but also including Kent, Monmouthshire and Gloucestershire!!).

To date, my Solley family tree goes back to around 1772, the probable date of birth of my 3xgreatgrandfather Thomas Solley of Richborough (c1772-1845). He married Elizabeth Smith (c1775-1845) at St. Nicholas, Ash on the 6 May 1794, the same day their eldest son Thomas was also baptised! There were another 12 children besides the eldest Thomas. Although I had names for Elizabeth's parents, of which more anon, like my father before me and others seeking the same information, it has proved very difficult to find Thomas's parents. So, at the start of 2005, I made a resolution to make a determined effort to this year, to try and solve the mystery. Despite picking up all sorts of snippets of interesting information along the way, as yet I am no nearer finding the answer, so the search will continue into 2006.

I have also taken a step backwards in that I find I am now also searching for Elizabeth's parents. Earlier this year I sent off for a copy of the Will of Crawford Smith, her supposed father, thinking it might contain some useful information. It did - but NOT what I was hoping for! It showed that, although Crawford Smith had a daughter Elizabeth, she was most definitely not the wife of Thomas Solley.

I have a copy of a letter written by George Christopher Solley referring to his grandmother (Elizabeth Solley, nee Smith) as 'one of the Smiths of Wingham Barton'. If anyone has come across mention of the Smiths of Wingham Barton, especially in the second half of the 18th century, or the names William Smith and/or Thomas Smith, which may also be connected, I would love to hear from them!

In the meantime the search goes on!