Thread: Solly in Boulonge sur Mer, France

Default Solly in Boulonge sur Mer, France

Can anyone shed any light on Richard SOLLY (my GGGG Grandfather), reputedly an architect, who lived in Boulogne Sur Mare, Pas de Calais, France in and around 1830?

Apparently Richard died young, probably around 1835, and his wife Elizabeth remarried. I suspect their daughter Ellen Solly (christened in the British Chapel in Boulogne-Sur-Mer on 22 Jan 1832) may have been an only child; I do know she was did not get along with her step-father when her mother remarried and ran away to England where she had lots of cousins. She shows up in the 1851 Berkshire Census as residing at Bath Place, St Mary, Reading in a school run by Mary Ann Welch as a 19 y.o. teacher of French. She soon emigrated to Australia as a governess with the Speir/Spyer/Speer family. In December 1859 she married my GGG grandfather W.H. Savigny in Sydney.

I was intruiged to see a note from Sue Allaby in the last Coordinator's Report reporting that a William and John Solly witnessed the death of a member of her family (it was this note that led me to find Richard and Elizabeth). I was sure they would be Ellen's brothers! However, it turns out William and John were the sons of George Solly and Anne (--??--). It is too much of a coincidence that they were all living in Boulonge sur Mer, and both families christened their respective children in the British Church, so perhaps Richard and George were brothers?
    Last edited by david_gs; 9th September 2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo