Thread: Sewells in Appleby, Westmorland

Default Sewells in Appleby, Westmorland

My 3xgt. grandfather was Joseph Sewell, born circa 1772, in Appleby, Westmorland. His occupation on censuses is given as cooper. His wife's name is given as Elizabeth on IGI, where I found the christening of his daughter Harriett, on 13 May 1804 at St. Luke Old Street, London. He was living with her and her family in London on the 1841 census. I would love to be able to find out more about him.

Default Re: Sewells in Appleby, Westmorland

I have a Joseph Sewell born 16 Aug 1771 in Appleby who died in London 1 Jun 1862. My information comes from old family documents, and I have nothing further on him personally. However, if this is the right person, his father was also Joseph Sewell - who was a cooper in Appleby - and his mother was Ester (maiden surname Jackson).

Joseph Senior is my 4 x great grandfather via his second son William (your Joseph was his eldest, and there were 10 other children as well). The Appleby cooper business was continued by William, but it would seem likely that Joseph also helped with the business before moving away (and continuing his trade in London??)

Seems to add up, and would make us some sort of distant cousins.

I also have Sewells for 3 more generations back from Joseph Senior.

Hi there,
    Thanks for all your information - it's excellent - I think we have a connection!
    It is also good to have Joseph's birth and death date. He was 89 on the 1861 census, so that certainly seems right. Joseph senior would of course have been my 4 x great grandfather too. My Joseph's daughter Harriet married Robert Wilson and was living with them in 1861, as I said. Robert was also listed as a cooper, so Joseph certainly seems to have continued the business in London.

I'm really delighted to have got back another generation, maybe more if you can give me any extra details. It was certainly worthwhile my joining this forum!
    Regards, Conquest (Ann)

Hi Conquest

Drop me a line at hotmail.com and lets talk direct - like you, I am sure that we have a coonection.

Fivebargate