Thread: Thomas Saul - born c1885 -Preston

Default Thomas Saul - born c1885 -Preston

Hello -

I'm looking for further help with my Great Grandfather, Thomas Saul, born c1885.

He married Ada Ramshead in either 1905 or 1908, it's difficult to tell from the marriage certificate.

He had around 12 children, including my grandfather Peter James Saul, born 6/9/1916.

I'm struggling to find an exact record of his birth, and death. I know he was dead when Peter James Saul got married in 1945.

His military details are on this site.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Thomas Saul - born c1885 -Preston

There were four Thomas Sauls births registered in Preston in this period and I list them below:

1. March Quarter 1879 8e 670
    2. Dec Quarter 1887 8e 621
    3. Mar Quarter 1890 8e 560
    4. Jun Quarter 1897 8e 601

It is possible that one of these is the one you refer to, the only way to find out is send off for the certificates.

There were only three deaths registered for Thomas Sauls between 1900 and 1950. Two were in Burnley 1911 and 1916. One in Kendal 1929.

Regards

Norman Saul

On further checking Thomas Saul marriage was registered in the Mar Quarter of 1908 at Preston 8e 928.

Regards

Norman Saul

Smile Re: Thomas Saul - born c1885 -Preston

Finally I've had a breakthrough with Thomas Saul my great grandfather...

I've managed to obtain his birth certificate...

His birthdate is recorded as 17th November 1889 at 7 Great Townley Street, Preston

Father: John Thomas Saul

Mother: Mary Ellen Saul, formerly Fletcher.

Birth Registered 4th January 1890

The search begins now for information about John Thomas Saul

John Thomas Saul birth registered in Preston in the June Quarter 1868 under 8e 516.

Two John Thomas Sauls marriages were regsitered in Preston the first in Mar Qtr 1886 at 8e 682a and the second Jun Qtr 1892 at 8e 1018.

Regards

Norman Saul

Oh dear...

It seems I was wrong.

After corresponding with John it seems more likely that my Thomas Saul is likely to be the son of Thomas and Bridget, listed as living 37 Duke Street in Preston in the 1891 Census.

It's easy to get carried away, isn't it?

I will see what information I can now find.

Steve

I live on an island in Canada in an inlet of the of the Pacific Ocean.

Norman, I noticed in an earlier posting that you had a Thomas Saul born 1890. That's the birthdate of my father, Thomas Edward Saul, eldest son of Thomas William Saul and Kathleen Froggitt but I don't know where he was born. He was brought up in Great Yarmouth and educated in Norwich. If you have any information on the Thomas Saul born 1890 I would appreciate anything you can tell me. Donovan

There was only one Thomas Edward Saul's birth registered in 1890. His birth was registered in the March Quarter of 1890 in Yarmouth. Reference 4b page 28. This I would suspect is the person you are looking for and I suggest you sned for the birth certificate to confirm it.

Regards

norman

Donovan
    Further to my reply to you of yesterday. Are you a member of the Sole Society? I suspect not. The Sole Society has a comprehensive family tree relating to the people you refer to. The Society provides a free CD Rom on Saul research to it members. Granted it was produced in 2003 but you will be surprised at the information of your family tree on this disk. It will be found under the reference code of FEC. For membership details please look at this web site.

Regards

Norman

Default Help! - Thomas Saul born 1882 I think?

Hi, Ive just recently joined the site and hope someone out there can help me find my roots?? From what i know from my mum is that my Greart Grandad was called Thomas Saul born 1882 i think...he married Ada Ramshead and they had many children between them..one being my nan Agnes Saul..i knew Albert, William, May and Cyril who was put in Whittingham...i think Grandad Thomas's dad was also Thomas Saul and his mum was called Bridget Campbell before they wed...once Ada and Thomas married they lived in Bootle Street Preston which is no longer there. I believe they maried in 1892 and had plenty of children and lost a few in infancy...Thomas Saul died in Sept 1930 aged approx 45 years old....trying to find other lost Sauls or help from anyone out there that may have pictures or information that may help me...or point me in the direction of finding the data i need...is there any user friendly sites that isnt full of jargon before you can access records?? Find it so hard as im Dyslexic and its hard enough but its a strain reading through jargon and then find ive not been succesful at the end of it!! fingers crossed. Joanne

I have just come back onto the site after an absence of 10 years so have a bit of sorting out to do, I do have a lot of information already on here and I am sure I can help my Grandfather was James Saul married to Mary Houghton and ther goes about six generations of Roberts ,Harold, Thomas etc

I have recently rejoined your site 2 days back and I would welcome a cd of all the latest so I can catch up on my tree! my aim is to finish (if ever) and tidy up the loose ends , please can you pass on my email to Peter Saul who I believe we are related by 9+ great grandfather in Cumbria ( if still alive) ! thankyou

Cool Re: Help! - Thomas Saul born 1882 I think?

Quote Originally Posted by angelwings View Post
    Hi, Ive just recently joined the site and hope someone out there can help me find my roots?? From what i know from my mum is that my Greart Grandad was called Thomas Saul born 1882 i think...he married Ada Ramshead and they had many children between them..one being my nan Agnes Saul..i knew Albert, William, May and Cyril who was put in Whittingham...i think Grandad Thomas's dad was also Thomas Saul and his mum was called Bridget Campbell before they wed...once Ada and Thomas married they lived in Bootle Street Preston which is no longer there. I believe they maried in 1892 and had plenty of children and lost a few in infancy...Thomas Saul died in Sept 1930 aged approx 45 years old....trying to find other lost Sauls or help from anyone out there that may have pictures or information that may help me...or point me in the direction of finding the data i need...is there any user friendly sites that isnt full of jargon before you can access records?? Find it so hard as im Dyslexic and its hard enough but its a strain reading through jargon and then find ive not been succesful at the end of it!! fingers crossed. Joanne
    Hello, I have quite a lot of info on Sauls of Preston, there may be yours amongst them but mine seem to run to Roberts and Jonathan Charles and William? but I have not looked at it for almost 8 yrs so I am just looking and sorting, all te latest census I have not yet done or the one before not complete so!! I am prepRed to help if I can, I also live in Preston and 3 Sauls in the telephone directory are linked to me so maybe!! I'm not in the book but my grandfather was James Saul and gr grandfather Robert and his father Jonathan, however I will still help you even if we are not linked , ok just reply and we can meet in Preston with family trees to look ok bye for now Barbara