Thread: SOLEs from the South East of England

Default SOLEs from the South East of England

I am Bob Sheldon and I co-ordinate the SOLE name for those families whose oldest known ancestor originated in Kent and Surrey (including those areas which became part of south London in the 1890s), Sussex and Hampshire. I would be interested to receive any queries from anyone who has found the SOLE (sometimes spelt SOAL(E) or SOUL) name in their family tree and thinks they may have a south-east England connection. Out extensive database may well be able to assist you in your quest and indeed you may have found something that will assist us to connect branches of our many so far unconnected families.

My branch of the name starts back in 1792 with the marriage of Edward SOLE (my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather) and Mercy CHITTENDEN at Monkton in Thanet. So far I have not been able to trace with any certainty who was this Edward, but my thoughts are that he was born in Herne in 1765 as this is not far distant from Chislet. I base this theory on the fact that a Removal Order was issued on 2nd January 1793 by the Churchwardens and Overseers of Monkton to the Churchwardens and Overseers of Chislet requiring that Edward and Mercy be removed to Chislet as their lawful place of settlement. There are no Edwards born in Chislet that would fit the facts but Herne is only two miles distant and the family name was quite common in that village at the time. If anyone can lead me to establishing anything more definite than this I would be grateful.

Default Re: SOLEs from the South East of England

Do you have anything on a Mary Sole who married John Sandwell at St. Peter's, Thanet, on Jan. 31, 1788?

Thanks,
    John

According to our records we believe Mary was born in 1764, the daughter of William SOLE and his wife Sarah, nee COCK.

Because we are a one name study group we do not follow up on females after they change their name on marriage unless we receive notification of a connection from a descendant.

Would you like to tell us how you are connected with Mary?

Bob Sheldon

Dear Bob,
    Many thanks for the information about Mary Sole. I am descended from John Sandwell's sister Susanna and I was interested to learn what I could about other Sandwell descendants and their families. Thanks again!

John

i have an Edward Soles b.c.1789/91 in Preston, Kent, England, census 1841 in Kent England, census 1850 in Queens Co,NY, died before 1860. He and family arrived NY 20Mar1849 on Devonshire from London.
    He married Ann Allison before 1820 in Kent, she born 6Sep1788, 1841 census in Kent, 1850 in NY. She died 19Jun1886, Cooper Co,MO, USA.
    children:
    Harriet Soles b.5Apr1820
    Maria Soles b.24Jul1821/6
    Elizabeth Soles b.1823, d.1827
    William Soles b.22Apr1825
    Emma Soles b. & d. 1828
    Edward Sole b.25Aug1830 (use spelling "Sole")
    all living children came to USA 1849.

Hi Joe

We have been in contact before about this family. We believe Edward was born in 1790 at Fordwich the son of John and Elizabeth (nee WANSTALL) SOLE. We have not found the date or place that he married Ann Allison.

The information we have on his children is as follows:

Harriet, b 15 Apr 1820 Preston, marr Thomas WALL 12 Oct 1846 Wingham, d 9 Jul 1894 Baltimore, Maryland.
    Maria, b before 9 Aug 1821 Preston
    Elizabeth, b before 6 Jul 1823 Preston
    William, b before 22 May 1825 Preston, marr Sarah Hannah DURLING 19 Aug 1850 New Jersey, d 7 Sep 1895 Cooper County, Missouri.
    Emma, b before 7 Jun 1828, d before 1 Jul 1828.
    Edward, b before 12 Sep 1830 Preston, marr Harriet UNKNOWN 1855, d 16 May 1924 Cooper County, Missouri.

Some of our information on this family in the USA came from previous correspondence with you. Since then more data has been provided by by one of the Society members. We are not permitted to say who this member is but if you agree I would be happy to ask her if she wishes to make contact.

Best wishes

Bob Sheldon

Hello,
    My husband's grandmother was Ellen Kate Soles, b. 1900, daughter of Alfred William Soles and Mary Hannah Godden. Ellen married in 1919 at Holy Trinity Church, Folkestone, to Charles John Wingate who was born 1897 in London and had immigrated to Canada with his family in 1908. Charles had returned to England during the war. In 1919 Charles and Ellen (Nell) moved to Canada and settled in Winnipeg.
    We would like to know when and where Alfred William Soles and his wife died. The last address I have is 5 Plain Cottages, Folkestone. We have pictures which suggest that Alfred was a widower and reached an age of 65+. He was born in 1866 Ringwould, Dover, Kent according to census 1891 and 1901. Mary Hannah Godden Soles was born about 1868 in West Hythe or Folkestone and lived to the age of about 50-60.
    Thank you for any information you can provide.
    Lynne

Hello Lynne

Thanks for your message and thanks for confirming Mary Hannah's maiden name
    of GODDEN and for the information that her daughter Ellen Kate emigrated to
    Canada after her marriage to Charles Wingate.

In answer to your question this is what we know about Ellen's family.

Her father Alfed William SOLES was born in 1866 at Ringwould, Dover and died
    in
    Canterbury about Mar 1943 aged 76. (The GRO reference is 1943 MAR 2a-1813
    Canterbury.)

Her mother Mary Hannah (GODDEN) SOLES was born in 1868 in Folkstone and died
    there about Aug 1934 aged 66. (The GRO reference is 1934 SEP 2a-1244
    Elham.)

This information is taken from the public registers and 1901 census. If you
    are able to obtain a copy of the death certificates we would appreciate
    receiving a
    copy.

Did you know that Ellen Kate had two elder sisters, Amy Matilda and Adelaide
    Mary?

We also can trace Ellen's line back 4 generations to the late 1700s.

If you would like full details of this family a subscription to the Sole
    Society costs just £10 (or overseas £13) and you or your husband would be
    very welcome to join.

Best wishes

Bob Sheldon

Thank you so much, Bob, for the information on the deaths. I will be sending for the death records, but your wording seems to suggest that I might not be successful? If I send to GRO with index information, and of course payment, will they require more?

Yes, I do know about Amy Matilda and Mary Adelaide.

Mary Adelaide married a Canadian soldier named Arthur Osgood Laberee. They married Oct 1917 in Folkestone. Mary Adelaide arrived in Canada Dec 1918 and lived in the province of Quebec until her death in 26 Dec 1977. She and Arthur Laberee had eleven children.

Amy Matilda married Fred Jackson. I believe that Amy and Fred lived in Folkestone. They married 1918 Jul-Sep.

There were also two sons who survived childhood. They were William George and John or Jack Franklin Soles. I know that their wives were named Hilda and Cis but have not confirmed which belongs to whom.

I include a picture of the five siblings taken when Ellen Kate and Mary Adelaide [Nell always called her Ada] travelled together to their town of birth in about 1955-1965? Can't remember, I will look it up. I know it was after Nell's and Kate's husband died, which was in 1946 and 1948.

The ladies are left to right Mary Adelaide, Amy Mathilda, and Ellen Kate.
    The gentlemen behind are William, on the left, and Jack Soles.

I have sent payment to join The Sole Society and look forward to further sharing of information.

Thanks again,
    Lynne Wingate
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Lynne

Thanks for the additional information and the photo of the family. Adelaide
    Mary was registered as such
    but she obviously switched the names around later. We did not know she had
    emigrated to Canada so thanks for that.

Amy Matilda married Charles Jackson in 1918 according to the register index.
    Do you know whether 'Fred' was his second name or was it an adopted name?

William George was born in 1903 and died in 1969. He married firstly Ethel
    PHILPOTT in 1924 and they must have divorced because he married for the
    second time in 1935 Hilda DOUGHTY. Ethel remarried in 1934.

John 'Jack' FRANKLIN was born in 1907 and married Emily PRATT in 1934. Is
    this 'Cis'? Emily died in 1988 but we have no record of what happened to
    John.

I shall update our records and send you all the information we have about
    this family to compare with your own researches. I am sorry but this will
    not be until January as I shall be away over Christmas.

Best Wishes

Bob