Thread: West Cumberland Sewells (Northumberland and North Lancashire)

Default West Cumberland Sewells (Northumberland and North Lancashire)

Does any one have any interest in the Sewells of West Cumberland ie Gosforth, Irton, Lamplugh, Beckermet, Ponsonby. probably Whitehaven and Arlecdon. I would like to pull them all together and find out where they came from. They "emigrated" to Ashington in Northumberland and The Furness area of Lancashire.

They also have old testament names ie Moses, Jonah and Isaac as well as William and Henry.
    This area had a "boom" time in the 18th and 19th centurys as Whitehaven was the 2nd biggest port (next to Liverpool) in the country. Engineering, Coalmining, and Shipbuilding were high up the ladder of industries as well as Farming and (infamously) the Slave Trade. It is situated on the edges of the Lake district and it has been considered, by at least one scholer, to have marvellous Georgian architecture (second to Bath). It was an important place and many people came here I hope they were your ancestors.

Thanks in advance

Pam
    Last edited by Pamela Best; 31st May 2008 at 03:06 PM.

Default Re: West Cumberland Sewells (Northumberland and North Lancashire)

Hi...just read your listing...possibly a connection from info received two years ago from a Sewell in Brisbane,Aust. A brother of my 3x Gt Grandmother Sarah Hodgson born Sewell in Dalston Parish,Carlisle 1818 i.e. William Sewell b.1811 baptised in Dalston but born Brisco,Carlisle,married Ann Thompson at St Bees,West Cumberland in 1852 the following children were baptised:John 1852,Mary Ann 1856,Sarah Jane 1858,Mary 1860 and Ann 1863.
    Ken Dixon

Thankyou Ken,
    that explains quite a few oddities!
    I have in fact found a connection I think, to Hugh, prependary of Carlisle Cathedral. Not sure yet until I go and look at the records.

Pam

Pleased to assist. I am almost sure Hugh Sewell born Caldeck is connected to the Sewell family who were Yeoman Farmers in Dalston,Raughton tenants of lands in Inglewood Forrest and later Pow,Blackwell etc nearer to Carlisle. Have researched in Carlisle Archives and Library..very difficult to confirm facts
    Ken

Hello Ken,

Yours is the first posting I've spotted which could bear some relation to a family I'm seeking. In a nutshell, Mary Sewell was born 1816 in Stanwix, daughter of Ann (nee Unknown) and according to Mary's marriage cert of 1842, her father was labourer Robert. I believe (without proof) Robert to be from the Caldbeck/Dalston area. Have you come across this family before in your searches? Mary's husband was Caldbeck-born William Dean.

Best wishes,

Gordon Fairbairn.

Hello Gordon...apologies for long delay I have Parkinsons and often find it difficult to use the p.c. From the dates mentioned I suspect your Robert was the son of one of my gggg.grandfather Edward Sewell's sisters I should have the info. My 5xggrand was Robert Sewell of Moordyke,Dalston,Nr Carlisle and he was possibly yours as well ! The Sewells were tenants for centuries at Moordyke,Unthank ,Low Pow and Shawk Quarry under the Duke of Portland and Devonshire's ,I forget who owned the manor of Inglewood Forrest first ! of which definitely Moordyke and Unthank were farms in Dalston and Raughton districts.
    Ken Dixon

Hello Ken,

And thanks for the very informative reply; still got a lotta searching to do, so no doubt our paths will cross at Carlisle Records Office some day. Best wishes,

Gordon.

My paternal grandfather and Ggrandfather were from this area and lived around Lamplugh, Carlisle and in the Furness area. What do you need to know?