Thread: SEWELLs of Leicestershire

Default SEWELLs of Leicestershire

I am researching my husbands line of Sewells in Leicestershire. My earliest Sewell is George born about 1700 in Rothley, Liec and married Martha Webster in 1723. (There are 6 Sewell family gravestones grouped together still in good condition at the Church of St Mary and St John at Rothley dating from 1723 to 1856.) Among their children is William Webster Sewell Christened 1742 and married to Ann Cook 1771 at Rothley. One of their 8 children is George Sewell christened 1775, he married Mary Duffin 1798 at Rothley and had 2 children one being William S Sewell christened 1799 at Rothley. He married Rachel Hall (or Hale) in 1820 and had 4 children. George Sewell his eldest son married Mary Evans about 1843 and had a son Charles at Sileby Liec who was christened in 1845. (no record of other children). Charles was a railway signalman who married Harriet Burrows about 1867 he had 4 children the last being George born in Linslade Buckinghamshire. He married Annie Heley in 1898 at Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire and his eldest of 7 children was my husbands father John Henry Sewell born in 1898. My husband John L Sewell is the youngest of 7 children. He was born in Linslade in 1940 and migrated to Australia.
    I have been researching this line of the Sewell family for 6 years and have been to visit the areas they came from. I have details of the graves in Rothley (and photos).
    Should anyone be interested in this branch of the Sewells I would be really glad to hear from you. Margaret Sewell
    Last edited by Tim Soles; 24th December 2005 at 09:26 AM.