Thread: Joseph and Amelia Saull married 16/06/1839

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Joseph and Amelia Saull married 16/06/1839

I would like to contact anyone descended from Joseph and Amelia they are my 2xg grandparents. Joseph was born in 1811 Warwickshire, Amelia much younger born in 1826 the daughter of James and Amy Oates from London. Joseph was a shoe maker I believe he worked for Amy because on the census she is shown as head.

Default Re: Joseph and Amelia Saull married 16/06/1839

Ruth

Have you obtained a copy of the 1839 marriage certificate? If so I would be interested in the details it gives of the name of Joseph's father and his occupation. This might help us to find a possible link to the Warwickshire Saul(l)s. Incidentally who have stated that Amelia was born in 1826. That would mean she married at age 13!!

Are you connected to one of our Society members Darryl, who is also a descendant of Joseph and Amelia?

John Slaughter

Hi John, yes I have a copy of the 1839 marriage certificate of Joseph and Amelia. His father's name was James and occupation Cooper, I found a James Saul aged 75 married to Joanna, living in Priors Marston, Warwick in the 1841 census. whether it was a mispelling, the 2nd L being dropped or not, being a Saull my self I know I had to constantly spell my name for people or I would be recorded as Saul, Sewel or even Soul!

No I haven't been in contact with Darryl, although I have been in contact with a couple of people through genesreunited. I would be willing to send a copy of the marriage certificate to anyone interested.

Ruth

PS Yes I did get Amelia's birth year wrong, it should be 1820 according to the 1851 census.

PPS!! I have just gone into genesreunited and realised that I have been in contact with Darryl's wife Jaqui? It was she that put the link in with me, descended from William Saull and Darryl from Joseph Saull. Both children of Joseph and Amelia. I would dearly love to find out about Joseph's ancestry, I have put James as married to Elizabeth Abbey because I found a marriage record on the LDS site, but it's not proven and I realise now that quite a few people have taken that as fact by looking at my tree.
    Last edited by Tim Soles; 15th September 2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Combined PS

Ruth

Thanks for the information from the marriage certificate, this is interesting.

From my research I have found that a lot of the Saulls, of the double LL variety, can be traced back to Byfield in Northamptonshire. These Saulls were mostly coopers by trade so there is a strong possibility of some connection with Joseph's father. However I can offer no obvious candidate. As far as I know on the census returns Joseph only ever stated that his place of birth was Warwickshire, and did not specify a place name.

The James at Priors Marston is probably not Joseph's father as there is no evidence that he had a son Joseph. Interestingly James's father William was born in Byfield but went to Priors Marston in the 1740's, probably before the extra "L" was added so he remained a Saul.

I would be interested hearing of your descent from Joseph and Amelia. It would probably be better to send me the information by private e-mail rather than post it here, particularly for the more recent generations. You will find my e-mail address in the Contacts section at our main website at www.sole.org.uk or click on my name above
    Last edited by Tim Soles; 17th September 2008 at 06:38 PM.

Hello everyone

I started researching my family tree about 6months ago and have discovered that I am a descendent of Joseph Saull + Amelia Oates. They are my 4* great grandparents on my mothers side.

I too though am struggling to find out much about their ancestors - only their respective father's names from the Marriage Certificate. It's so annoying Joseph's specific birth place in Warwickshire isn't mentioned - their daugher Amelia Saull (who is also my ancestor born in Hackney 1840) married a chap called William Heritage. Funnily enough he too was from warwickshire (Fillongley) and I've been able to track his parents via the Warwickshire Record Office.

I'll keep an eye on this forum going fwd in case anyone finds out anything, and of course if I will let you know if I have any luck.

Hello everyone

I started researching my family tree about 6months ago and have discovered that I am a descendent of Joseph Saull + Amelia Oates. They are my 4* great grandparents on my mothers side.

I too though am struggling to find out much about their ancestors - only their respective father's names from the Marriage Certificate. It's so annoying Joseph's specific birth place in Warwickshire isn't mentioned - their daugher Amelia Saull (who is also my ancestor born in Hackney 1840) married a chap called William Heritage. Funnily enough he too was from warwickshire (Fillongley) and I've been able to track his parents via the Warwickshire Record Office.

I'll keep an eye on this forum going fwd in case anyone finds out anything, and of course I will let you know if I have any luck.

Hi, I have a marriage certificate of Joseph and Amelia if you would like a copy. I am descended from William Saull their son born 4/4/1846. Joseph died 18/7/1884 he was living with his son Joseph but died in an Infirmary. I haven't been able to find Amelia's death yet. Her parents Amelia and James Oats are recorded as being born in Jaunhist I haven't got very far with finding out where that is but it may be in France! Were they Hugueonots? I have searched the various websites but not found Oates but they may have changed Anglocised it.