Thread: Richard Sawle in Cornwall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Richard Sawle in Cornwall

I have a Richard Sawle at the top of my family tree born in 1766 in Cornwall.
    He married Mary Courtenay. Does anyone know if he was born in Probus or where he married Mary?
    Many Thanks
    Diana

Boyds Marriage Index records that a marriage took place between Richard Sawle and Mary Courtney at Probus in 1796. The original parish register should however be consulted to not only verify the entry but hopefully may provide further information that could help to identify Richard's origins. It looks as though Richard died in 1842 and is the Richard Sawle whose death was registered in the December 1842 quarter of the GRO indexes. Obtaining his death certificate may assist.

Default Thank you

Thank you very much John. I found the entry yesterday in a transcript of Probus marriages from the Cornwall Family History Society. They were married on the 27th August 1796. The Parish Register records the surname as Saul and the Bishop's Transcript Searle. Now I need to order death cert, then I may be closer to finding his baptism.

Diana. It is good that you have now been able to confirm date and place of the marriage. However I still think it would be worthwhile to look at the original parish register. This may give additional information not recorded on the transcripts, such as place of residence of the parties at the time of the marriage, and the names of the witnesses.

Default Re: Richard Sawle in Cornwall

Hi Diana. Just wondering if you had any luck with your family tree as I too have Richard Sawle & Mary Courtenay at the top of my tree and would love to go back further.