Thread: Doris Eva Sewell

Default Doris Eva Sewell

Dear All,

I'm trying to trace my paternal grandmother's side of my family tree. Her name was Doris Eva Sewell and married my grandfather (William Oliver Jenkins) around 1934 in Marylebone, London.
    She was born around 1908 (in Shoreditch) and died (very approximately) around 1940.
    I have an unconfirmed source which leads me to believe her father was Vernon Harcourt Sewell (b. 1888, in St Pancras) but would love some firm evidence (since I've been led down the wrong path before!).
    If correct, then I'm fairly certain the line traces back to Decimus Sewell of Halstead, as documented by Adrian Corder-Birch at: http://www.sole.org.uk/halstead.htm. (Through, Ernest A Sewell and then Percy Sewell).
    If anyone can confirm this or has any further information, I would be most grateful.
    Best regards

Gareth

Default Re: Doris Eva Sewell

Vernon Harcourt Sewell is descended from Decimus Sewell & is shown in the 1911 census living in the Epping Registration District wife Florence Elizabeth, nee Mason & daughter Doris Eva, born 1908, 4th quarter, Shoreditch Reg Dis. Was she living in Wales in later life? There was Doris E who died 1938, 3rd quarter, Cardiff Reg Dis.
    Brian Sewell

Dear Brian

Many thanks for the information - it's great to get confirmation as well as her mother's name. I just realised Ancestry.com doesn't have the 1911 census which is why I missed it! I found the Welsh death registration and did wonder. I am not aware of any connection with Wales but wouldn't rule it out. I have little to go on except she died of breast cancer when my father was young (maybe she was in Wales for health reasons). I do some further investigation.
    Best regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth
    I have some more info on Vernon Harcourt - you may have some of it already.
    He was maried on the 9th Nov 1907 at the Registry Office West Ham to Florence Elizabeth Mason. Died 15th Sept 1950 at "Verdor" Alexander Road, South Benfleet, Essex.
    In 1944 he wrote his Will: he left as his sole beneficiary Dorothy Elfreda Coe. In the will he states that she was known as 'Mrs Sewell' and they had been together 25 years. This means that he was with her from approx 1919, when Doris Eva was about 11 years of age. Whether he had much to do with her - who knows? but if your info about her death is correct i.e. 1940, then that would explain perhaps why she is not mentioned in his Will. His occupation was Commercial Clerk. I don't know what happened to Florence Mason - there are heaps of Florence E. Sewells so it is hard to pick out which death may be hers.

His father is Ernest Aveling Sewell, born 1859 in Hackney London. He married Georgette Frances Beckett in the Register Office Islington 6th april 1884. He was then living at 47 Chancery Lane London and was a Solicitors Clerk.
    There were 4 children: Vernon, Ernest Aveling (Jnr) b 1890, Jane Mary A. b 1895 and Herve Stuart born 1899.
    He died on the 25th June 1931 at 77a Highgate Hill, Highgate London aged 72 years.
    His father was Percy and his mother Elizabeth Docker Sevier.
    Hope this helps. I would be interested to know what happened to Doris.
    Glennis Sewell
    Last edited by Glennis; 19th March 2010 at 06:17 AM.