Thread: Thomas Saul of Kirky Ireleth b ~1690

Default Thomas Saul of Kirky Ireleth b ~1690

Is there anybody who has explored the Sauls of Kirby Ireleth. The Cumbrian County Council records show that a Thomas of Lancaster was executor to a will in 1716 and he is described as "Thomas Saul of Lancaster, esquire, eldest son and heir of Thomas Saul of Kirkby Ireleth, gent." There is a Richard Saul of Kirkby Ireleth also listed. Thanks David

Default Re: Thomas Saul of Kirky Ireleth b ~1690

Hi. Sorry it's such a late response, it must be quite some time since I logged in here. The Kirkby Ireleth location doesn't ring any immediate bells, but I will check. All the "Lake District" Sauls are related, although in some cases the links go back to 1600 or so. There are certainly many Thomases on my family tree. Any more information would be useful. Best Regards, Peter Saul

Default Re: Thomas Saul of Kirky Ireleth b ~1690

I should have added that, three years ago, we were tracing my families roots in the southern part of the lakes, staying at Cartmel. The local church has absolutely no Saul records, even though they lived there for about 100 years. I have some evidence that they were quakers, which might explain it. However, we took a day "off" the family history with a trip to Lancaster. We went into a large church there, although I'm not sure which. I remarked that we hadn't seen any Saul graves in the previous few days. I then looked at my feet. At that moment, entirely by coincidence, I was standing on a Saul gravestone re-used as flooring in the church. Quite a surprise, and incidentally confirming your Lancaster link, though the man in question was not on my main family tree. Regards, Peter Saul