Thread: Solly information from Kirkcudbrightshire- possible Kent link

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Solly information from Kirkcudbrightshire- possible Kent link

A monumental Inscription in Crossmichael, Kirkcudbrightshire, remembering Andrew Brolochan and family, mentions ''son in law John SOLLY d Calcutta 25.4.1833, aged 36.''
    The 1841 Census in Kelton, a neighbouring town, includes a William Sully (as transcribed by Ancestry.The Scotlandspeople origin is very indistinct) aged 7 (or 9, ditto) born in England. He is living with Agnes Rafferty, William Rafferty's second wife, who was born Agnes Brolochan, in Crossmichael. I can not find mention of William in later census returns, nor on Scotlandspeople. (although there are a few other Sollys) If he had died in childhood, the church records in Scotland were poorly kept, so he wouldn't necessarily show up. I haven't yet checked whether he'd returned to ?paternal grandparents.
    There is a Burial of John Solly on 17th November 1834, at Howra, Bengal. Aged 21, seaman on the barque Vesper of London. Howra is very near Calcutta. (Source: British Library India Office Family History Search) Although the details vary, it may well be the same man.
    On IGI there is also a birth of a William Solly 14/3/1832, baptism 8/4/1832 at Clover St Ebenezer or Great Meeting Independant CHATHAM. Parents are John and Agnes Solly. I can't find a marriage.
    If Agnes Brolochan/Rafferty was William's mother, which seems a possibility,( but not proved,) it would mean that my gggm Jane Bell probably had a half brother, William Solly. Agnes Brolochan had a child with John Bell, miller in 1820, and 2 more(including my gggm) in 1826/1829. (no record of marriage/births) If Agnes and John had moved to England (where he was born) to escape censure, then a possible scenario suggests the relationship broke down. John married somebody else in 1832 in Kirkcudbrightshire, Agnes returned, widowed ?, with son William Solly, and Agnes' mother cared for my gggm (41 census) Any views gratefully received !

Default Re: Solly information from Kirkcudbrightshire- possible Kent link

Quote Originally Posted by Jeansgirl View Post
    A monumental Inscription in Crossmichael, Kirkcudbrightshire, remembering Andrew Brolochan and family, mentions ''son in law John SOLLY d Calcutta 25.4.1833, aged 36.''
    The 1841 Census in Kelton, a neighbouring town, includes a William Sully (as transcribed by Ancestry.The Scotlandspeople origin is very indistinct) aged 7 (or 9, ditto) born in England. He is living with Agnes Rafferty, William Rafferty's second wife, who was born Agnes Brolochan, in Crossmichael. I can not find mention of William in later census returns, nor on Scotlandspeople. (although there are a few other Sollys) If he had died in childhood, the church records in Scotland were poorly kept, so he wouldn't necessarily show up. I haven't yet checked whether he'd returned to ?paternal grandparents.
    There is a Burial of John Solly on 17th November 1834, at Howra, Bengal. Aged 21, seaman on the barque Vesper of London. Howra is very near Calcutta. (Source: British Library India Office Family History Search) Although the details vary, it may well be the same man.
    On IGI there is also a birth of a William Solly 14/3/1832, baptism 8/4/1832 at Clover St Ebenezer or Great Meeting Independant CHATHAM. Parents are John and Agnes Solly. I can't find a marriage.
    If Agnes Brolochan/Rafferty was William's mother, which seems a possibility,( but not proved,) it would mean that my gggm Jane Bell probably had a half brother, William Solly. Agnes Brolochan had a child with John Bell, miller in 1820, and 2 more(including my gggm) in 1826/1829. (no record of marriage/births) If Agnes and John had moved to England (where he was born) to escape censure, then a possible scenario suggests the relationship broke down. John married somebody else in 1832 in Kirkcudbrightshire, Agnes returned, widowed ?, with son William Solly, and Agnes' mother cared for my gggm (41 census) Any views gratefully received !
    Hi - I was born in Castle Douglas (Kelton) and have traced the family back to William Solley (Soley) my 4th great grandfather b abt 1795 - William was born in England, probably Kent, and as a Dragoon travelled to Ireland and a lot of England with his family being born in different places - he had a son Samuel who was baptised 7 Jan 1833 at Ringford but he doesn't show up in the 1841 census nor can i find a death for him or anything else for that matter. I have a theory that Samuel and your William are one and the same - the ages match, William appears and Samuel disappears - William Rafferty is living close to William Solley and his house must have been pretty full (it was only a little cottage) I think they were both friends (army) and he has possibly adopted Samuel or agreed to take him back to Kent to his grandparents - I have yet to trace Rafferty on his return to England but would not be surprised to find he has a "son" William or Samuel - changing of names didn't seem to be an issue - with my family - not sure if it was to confuse the censor. William had two younger sisters - Jane b1836 and Catherine b1838 - and as yet unable to trace them, both appear in the 1841 census - Emma in the 1841 census is incorrectly aged as 5 and was actually b 1830 in England - I have read your message again (and again) and wondering if there is a family connection with Rafferty - if I could find father William's (1795) parents then i'm sure the jigsaw will come together - Good luck

Default Re: Solly information from Kirkcudbrightshire- possible Kent link

Hello Jean - not sure if you have managed to sort out your link to the Solleys of SW Scotland - but I have now developed the tree with regard to this branch and its links back to Kent - I would be happy to help