Thread: Parnell Sewell 1635 / Henry Sewell 1576

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Parnell Sewell 1635 / Henry Sewell 1576

Hello

This is my first time posting here, apologies if I cover something that's already been discussed.

According to research conducted via Ancestry, I am a direct descendant of Parnell Sewell and William Sadler, both born in around 1630. Her father is given as Thomas, which I believe agrees with the information on this site. However, her grandfather is given as a Henry Sewell, married to Jane Lowe...a descendant of Bess of Hardwick.

My question is, I can't find any record of Henry on this site, and on other sites where I do find Henry, there is no mention of Thomas or Parnell. However, your site seems to claim Coventry as the base of the Thomas Sewell line, and another site appears to claim the same for Henry. Is there any link between either of these individuals, or indeed their families?

Thanks

Greg Sadler

Default Re: Parnell Sewell 1635 / Henry Sewell 1576

The following entry is taken from my website http://sewellgenealogy.com and the current address of the first part is http://sewellgenealogy.com/p436.htm#i7

Do let me know how you get on with your researches.

John

Colonel Henry Sewall was born in 1624. He was the son of Richard Sewall and Mary Dugdale. Colonel Henry Sewall was Roman Catholic. He married Jane Lowe, daughter of Vincent Lowe and Ann Cavendish, circa 1654 in England. Colonel Henry Sewall and Jane Lowe emigrated in 1661 to Maryland. On 20 August 1661 "Henry Sewell formerly of London, England, but now of Calvert County, Maryland" was commissioned Councillor, Secretary, and Judge of the probate of Wills for the Province (Md. Archives iii, 439), and he held these offices until his death. Colonel Henry Sewall made a will on 25 April 1664 in which he states that he intends to sail for England during the current year, and at a Council Meeting held 6 September 1664, "Henry Sewell Esq. being called was returned absent in England" (Md. Archives i, 509). His will was proved 17 April 1665.3 He died in 1665 either in England or on the voyage from Maryland.
    Children of Colonel Henry Sewall and Jane Lowe

* Major Nicholas Sewall+ b. 1655, d. 1737
    * Elizabeth Sewall+ b. c 1656, d. 1710
    * Mary Sewall+ b. 1658, d. 12 Mar 1693/94
    * Anne Sewall+ b. b 1660, d. 1693
    * Jane Sewall+ b. a 25 Apr 1664, d. 17 May 1692

Richard Sewall. A vintner of Coventry. He was born in 1578 in Coventry. He was the son of Henry Sewall and Margaret Grazebrook. Richard Sewall is recorded as living in Nuneaton, Warwickshire.3 He married Mary Dugdale, daughter of John Dugdale of Shustoke and Elizabeth Swynfen, in in 1614 or 1615. On 2 October 1636 Richard Sewall is recorded as having signed a deed as administrator of the goods, etc., of Anne Power, late of Kenilworth, deceased, during the minority of Stephen Power, executor of the last will of the said Anne. Richard Sewall died in 1638 in the latter part of the year. On 2 January 1638/39 administration on his estate was granted to Mary his widow. The will was said to be extant but this was doubted in 1878 in Notes & Queries.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rees View Post
    The following entry is taken from my website http://sewellgenealogy.com and the current address of the first part is http://sewellgenealogy.com/p436.htm#i7

Do let me know how you get on with your researches.

John

Colonel Henry Sewall was born in 1624. He was the son of Richard Sewall and Mary Dugdale. Colonel Henry Sewall was Roman Catholic. He married Jane Lowe, daughter of Vincent Lowe and Ann Cavendish, circa 1654 in England. Colonel Henry Sewall and Jane Lowe emigrated in 1661 to Maryland. On 20 August 1661 "Henry Sewell formerly of London, England, but now of Calvert County, Maryland" was commissioned Councillor, Secretary, and Judge of the probate of Wills for the Province (Md. Archives iii, 439), and he held these offices until his death. Colonel Henry Sewall made a will on 25 April 1664 in which he states that he intends to sail for England during the current year, and at a Council Meeting held 6 September 1664, "Henry Sewell Esq. being called was returned absent in England" (Md. Archives i, 509). His will was proved 17 April 1665.3 He died in 1665 either in England or on the voyage from Maryland.
    Children of Colonel Henry Sewall and Jane Lowe

* Major Nicholas Sewall+ b. 1655, d. 1737
    * Elizabeth Sewall+ b. c 1656, d. 1710
    * Mary Sewall+ b. 1658, d. 12 Mar 1693/94
    * Anne Sewall+ b. b 1660, d. 1693
    * Jane Sewall+ b. a 25 Apr 1664, d. 17 May 1692

Richard Sewall. A vintner of Coventry. He was born in 1578 in Coventry. He was the son of Henry Sewall and Margaret Grazebrook. Richard Sewall is recorded as living in Nuneaton, Warwickshire.3 He married Mary Dugdale, daughter of John Dugdale of Shustoke and Elizabeth Swynfen, in in 1614 or 1615. On 2 October 1636 Richard Sewall is recorded as having signed a deed as administrator of the goods, etc., of Anne Power, late of Kenilworth, deceased, during the minority of Stephen Power, executor of the last will of the said Anne. Richard Sewall died in 1638 in the latter part of the year. On 2 January 1638/39 administration on his estate was granted to Mary his widow. The will was said to be extant but this was doubted in 1878 in Notes & Queries.
    Hi John

Thanks for that, most interesting, and impressive work. However, the tree you directed me to does not mention Thomas or Parnell, nor can I find the OTHER Henry you mentioned? I need to find Thomas and or Parnell to work this out. Searching for Parnell on the Society's site, I found this: Parnell Sewell, born circa 1643, married circa 1663, sister to John and Thomas, daughter of Thomas (b 1610), granddaughter of John (b 1570), great granddaughter of John (b 1545) and great great granddaughter of John (b.1520). This contradicts the Henry link that Ancestry has, and completely throws me. Is anyone in this tree related to Colonel Henry or his cousin Henry?

Thanks, Greg

Richard Sewall's father was Henry Sewall (1544-1628), Mayor of Coventry, his father is William Sewall b. 1520, beyond this point this Sewall family cannot presently be traced.

The Descendants of Henry Sewall (1576-1656) of Manchester and Coventry. England & Newbury and Rowley, Massachusetts. The family in England and the first six generations in North America, written by my cousin Eben W. Graves and published by the Newbury Street Press in 2007 is the definitive work on the family. There is no Parnell Sewall mentioned therein nor on my website.

The Parnell Sewell detailed in the Sewell Story by Richard Smith is of no known relationship to the Sewalls of Coventry therefore, I am sorry to say, the link to Henry Sewall who married Jane Lowe does not exist. No-one has yet traced a link between the Essex Sewells and the Coventry gang.

EllaHill Guest

I have a listing of who is in the cemetery but I don't think it is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by EllaHill View Post
    I have a listing of who is in the cemetery but I don't think it is complete.
    Which cemetery would this be, Maryland?