Thread: Alfred Solly/John Solly

Default Alfred Solly/John Solly

Alfred Solly b.1827 ST Lawrence Kent d.abt 1905 Cockermouth Cumberland. On marriage certificate his father was John Solly dec.gardener. 1841 census John Solly b abt 1791,wife Hannah children Jane,Sarah,James,Alfred,Elizabeth, I think/hope I have got the right connection.Has anyone got connections with this family to verify my research.
    Also in the April 2010 journal report by David Solley re Plymouth Solly.The Alfred Referred to was my Grandfather Alfred Solly b 1864 in Cumberland. He was in Plymouth for his marriage and then my grandmmother moved to Cumberland. He lost his life in WW1 when his ship was torpedoed.

Default Re: Alfred Solly/John Solly

Hi I was pointed in the direction of your post by my uncles wife who happened to see it when she did a search on Alfred Solly.

The Alfred Solly that you mention as being your grandfather appears to be my great grandfather.

Born 10/02/1864 Whitehaven Cumberland. Father Alfred Solly rank/profession Railway engine stoker. Mother Isabella Solly late Swainson formerly Foster.

Married 13/01/1896 age 31 to Matilda Jane Phillips Head. in the parish of Charles. Plymouth.

Died 20th July 1917 when the boat he was serving on as an engineer (sub-lieutenant) RNR was sunk by an enemy mine in the north sea 12 miles off Orford Suffolk.

If this is indeed your Grandfather that must make you my mothers cousin?
    Last edited by Tilly; 23rd October 2011 at 01:52 AM.