Thread: Richard Solly - An internet myth?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Richard Solly - An internet myth?

Over the years I've had different Solly researchers tell me that Richard Solly was bapt 12 March 1697 in Ash next Sandwich. No-one though has been able to say who his parents were.

He is supposed to have married Margaret Masters bapt 18 April 1716 also in Ash but again, no-one has a note of her parents.

I'm now suspecting that a lot of my Solly tree is based on an internet myth and I'll have to re-check all my sources - unless of course anyone can do a spot of myth-busting!

Regards

Jackie

Default Re: Richard Solly - An internet myth?

Our records, which are made up from the original IGI records, plus information from the local history society in Ash, which as part of its work compiled lists of families from the ealiest Parish records. The marriage of Richard Solly to Mary Masters on 29 April 1741 was recorded in Ash Parish registers. Although originally recorded as Margaret Masters the banns showed her name as Mary (born 18 April 1716). The couple had 9 children.

Richard died in 1777 and Mary died in 1798 - her will was proved in 1799.

We have not been able to establish Richard's parents and have not researched the Masters family as it is not part of our brief.

Our records have been built over a period of 20 years and are as accurate as we can make them.

Perhaps you can let me have some of your information so we can update our records and consider joining our Society.

I believe it would have been wise to check with The Society before giving the subject such an inflammatory heading which I feel belittles all the work done by the members of the Society

Default Re: Richard Solly - An internet myth?

Thanks for your reply but I'm puzzled as to why 'an internet myth' should be considered inflammatory.

You said 'We have not been able to establish Richard's parents...' Doesn't that confirm that the baptismal information I've been given has no basis in fact: that it is a myth?

I fail to see how I have belittled the work done by members of the Society as I never mentioned Society members.

I sent my Solly information to the society many years ago. My long - languished interest in this family was aroused by receiving an invitation to the 20th anniversary celebrations as I was a founder member of the society.

Methinks I will continue to let my interest in this family languish.