Thread: Jane Sewell of Westmorland Co., perhaps Appleby area, was born in early 1800's

Default Jane Sewell of Westmorland Co., perhaps Appleby area, was born in early 1800's

I am looking for information about the Sewell families in Westmorland Co. in the late 1700's-early 1800's. My great, great grandparents, Thomas Jackson and Jane Sewell, immigrated from Westmorland Co. arriving in New York, USA 2 June 1830. Their first child, my great grandfather Samuel Robertson Jackson, was born at sea 29 May 1830 and named for the ship "Samuel Robertson." The Ship's Manifest listed both Thomas and Jane as age 22. Thomas became a prosperous farmer near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He and Jane had seven children.
    Family notes say they were from Westmorland near Lake Windermere. I located a marriage record for Jane Sewell and Thomas Jackson 3 April 1830 at St. Michael's Church, Appleby. If accurate, Jane may have been seven months pregnant. If the Manifest is accurate , they were born ca 1807/08. US census records vary greatly as to their age. Death records place Jane at age 95 in 1898 and Thomas at age 81 in 1885. Jane's burial record in St. Luke's Episcopal Church includes a note by the minister saying that Jane was the neice of an English clergyman named Sewell. I realize that memories are sometimes faulty. There was a Rev. Jonathan Sewell of Kirby Thors with three sons who were ministers, who might be connected.
    Parish records show two entries of interest. Jane CHR 9 Sept 1810 St. Lawrence, Appleby to William Sewell and Margaret Robinson. Also, Jane Born 1802 CHR 21 Oct 1807 Bolton to Thomas Sewell and Jane Richardson, resided 1802 Westmorland. There are many births for Thomas Jackson. One possible set of parents is William Jackson M Mary Scourfield 8 July 1804 at Morland with son Thomas Born 10 Nov 1806 and CHR 15 Feb 1809 Kendal.
    Any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated. Priscilla Chatfield

Default Re: Jane Sewell of Westmorland Co., perhaps Appleby area, was born in early 1800's

Priscilla - I can help slightly, although in a negative sense only; the Jane Sewell born to William & Margaret Sewell in 1810 (my 3xgreat grandparents) is not "yours". This particular Jane Sewell married twice - firstly to William Armstrong, a saddler in Carlisle, and secondly to a James Reddish, and she died in Carlisle in 1868. Jane's youngest brother took over the saddler's business when William Armstrong died, and is my direct ancestor.

Good luck with your researches

Tim S

Default Re: Jane Sewell of Westmorland Co., perhaps Appleby area, was born in early 1800's

Tim - Thanks so much for your reply. It solves part of the puzzle.

All the best,

Priscilla C.

Hi Tim,

I just acquired two Prayer Books which might be of interest to you. They contain a little information about your family (not much because the important pages with marriages and births and deaths etc were taken out). It does contain handwriting samples from Isaac Sewell and Jane Sewell as well as Isaac's grandson "T S" dated Nov 30 1879. Let me know if you want me to scan it and email to you.

Bruce Rienstra (I'm not at all related to any Sewell but I was researching the names in these prayer books I just acquired and this site came up)

Dear Bruce,
    Thank you for the information. Do you know where the prayer books were published? If in Pennsylvania, USA, perhaps there is a connection. I assume you are from England. I do not have a sample of my Jane [Sewell] Jackson's handwriting to compare. If your Jane and Isaac were married, there appear to be many such Sewell couples named Jane & Isaac in England in the early 1800's. Also, none of Jane's sons was named Isaac.

Perhaps a future clue will bring me back to your prayer books.

Again, many thanks.

Priscilla Chatfield

Hi Bruce

Thank you for your post; my apologies for not seeing it sooner. I would love some scans if that is not too difficult. My real-world email is timsewell99@gmail.com.

Your prayer books are definitely interesting. A relative, who still lives in the Appleby area, has (or had!!!) two Books of Common Prayer originally belonging to Isaac Sewell and William Sewell (Isaac's grandson). The first is dated 1739, and the latter 1807, and both have family information written in the frontispieces and title pages. The "TS" in yours could be my great great grandfather Thomas Sewell, who became a saddler in Carlisle.

Anyway, I would love to see some scans.

Tim S