I am looking into the family history of my wife's maternal ancestors. I'm particularly interested in the siblings of Albert Henry Sole born 5th August 1908 especially William James Sole born 12th October 1904. According to family legend he was in trouble with the law but little is know beyond that. There also seems to be a mystery around their grandfather James Sole born around 1846 in Woodnesborough. He married a Martha Louisa Austin on 23 November 1870. I cannot find them on the 1871 census, however Martha seems to be missing or dead by 1881 as she is not listed with James who seems to have now called himself Thomas. By 1891 he is calling himself James again and married to a Caroline M. I cannot find a death for Martha nor a marriage for James and Caroline. I did find a banns of marriage between James Sole and Caroline Maria Clack in April 1891. Looking at the 1881 census there is Caroline Clack or Clark living in the same building, possibly the same Caroline? Any help I can get would be great.

Andy