I, too, have a Sewell line in Carlisle, but I don't know if there's a connection. My gr-gr-gr grandmother was Mary Sewell, daughter of Joseph Sewell, a butcher. Her marriage to Thomas Sleddall, a Gentleman formerly of Kendal, was registered in Wigton in the Parish of Bowness. She was married in the parish church on 15 July 1840, witnessed by Christopher Maling and Rachel Armstrong. Per the 1841 UK Census, the couple resided at Bush Street, Poulton le Fylde, Co. Lancashire, and Thomas's profession was "Ind." Mary caused the accidental death of her husband, Thomas, by over-administering laudanum on 6 October 1843 at their home on English Street in St. Cuthbert, Carlisle.

Mary's year of birth has been most commonly reported on Census as abt. 1815 in Carlisle, but I did find a baptismal registration for a Mary Sewell born to a Joseph and Mary Sewell on 28 June 1812 at St. Cuthbert, Carlisle on the LDS web site. Don't know if this is "my" Mary's christening yet or not.

Mary's father, Joseph Sewell, was not noted as deceased at the time of her marriage to Thomas in 1840. But, when she finally remarried to James Little in Carlisle on 26 Nov. 1864, her father was specifically named as deceased on the marriage certificate. I did find on the internet the Kirkby Thore Directories (1829), with "Sewell Joseph, butcher" listed in Temple Sowerby.

Maybe someone can connect Joseph Sewell, the butcher, to their line? Or someone can prove or disprove the parentage of my Mary Sewell? I've never found a Joseph Sewell, butcher, on the 1841 UK Census.

Lisa