Thread: Saul from England - search

Smile Saul from England - search

Hi My name is Julie D'Orset-Hodge, I am the daughter of
    Murray Walter D'Orset-Hodge b 1942 Smithtown NSW, Australia

My fathers mother (my grandma) is Betty Edith SAUL b 1919.
    Daughter of: Thomas SAUL b 1867 born NSW, Australia & Edith Boyes b 1878.

Parents of Thomas James SAUL b 1867 were -
    William SAUL b 1833 Norwich, England
    Janet GRAY b 1841 Northumberland, England

Parent of William SAUL b 1833 were -
    Rachel (Rachael) SAUL b 1807 Stepney London England
    father unknown

Parents of Rachel SAUL b 1807 were -
    Saul SAUL b unknown
    Frances ? b unknown

Thats as far as I have been able to get on my Grandma's line.
    If anyone has any information on these SAUL's I would be ever so grateful for it.

Thanking you in advance
    Julie D'Orset-Hodge
    Last edited by Tim Soles; 12th May 2006 at 03:50 PM.

Default Saul from England

Julie

William Saul was born in 1833 at Cawston, Norfolk and not Norwich. He emigrated to Australia about 1859, a few years after his brother James. The brothers were the patriarchs of the Saul families at Kempsey who have been extensively written about in our Society journals by both myself and Lorraine Stacker. You will be related to Lorraine.

The Sauls at Cawston have been traced back to a marriage in 1761 between a Thomas Saul and Elizabeth Alexander. The parentage and earlier generations you have given for William is not correct.

I have some details taken form the New South Wales birth, marriages and deaths indexes and identified five children born to Thomas James and Edith Boyes namely George T (1901), Samuel R (1903), Harold W N (1906), Hector B (1910) and Frank Leighton (1916). The births I have only go up to 1918 and do not therefore include Betty Edith. However in the death indexes I did find a Thomas J of Kempsey in 1917 and which gave his parents as William and Janet. I had taken this to be Thomas James. Can you tell me anything more about the family?

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply...

My parents, namely my father, grandson of Thomas James Saul & Edith Boyes..have researched the Saul family & found alot of the information from the Headstones at Frederickton Cemetery where many Saul's were buried.

The headstone included is a photo of Thomas James & Edith Boyes.

As the photo was taken from a little distance it may be hard to read as a scanned photo...so it says:

"In Loving Memory of
    Thomas James
    Beloved husband of
    Edith Saul
    Died Jun 8. 1917
    Aged 50 years"

on Edith's side-

"In loving Memory Of
    Edith Saul
    Beloved wife of
    T.J. Saul
    Died 18th Jan 1950
    Aged 72 years"

Also 2 foster children are buried in the grave & as the photo was taken quite a number of years ago my father remembers there was someone else also in the grave but he can't recall who.

Behind this Grave is William Saul & Ronald M Saul. As I can't read what the headstone says this is William Saul B.1833 Died 08/02/1892 & son Ronald Macleay Saul b 1880 - Died 14/01/1896 (Aged 16).

My parents are visiting Betty (my grandma) next weekend as her time to pass is coming very soon, & they will visit the cemetery to take better photo's.

If anyone wants a particular headstone photo at the cemetery let me know so we can get it for you as there are many Saul family members there.

My Grandma, Betty Edith Saul was fostered by Edith, 2 years after Thomas James passed away. Her mother died of TB when she was 2 & as Edith Boyes was friends with her real mother, Edith raised my grandma as her own.

Even though we are not blood related to the Saul's Edith was the only mother my Grandma Betty ever knew.

Just to fill you in on the children of Thomas & Edith they were:

George Thomas Saul
    Born Nov 1901 in Seven Oaks N S W
    Married - Muriel SHEPARD in Kempsey 1921
    Died 09/12/1971 in Bellimbipinni N S W
    Occupation - Farmer
    (I also have their 8 children's names)

Samuel Richard Saul
    Born 1903 in Seven Oaks N S W
    Died 30/12/1908 in Seven Oaks N S W (Aged 5)

Harold William Noel Saul
    Born 25/12/1905 in Seven Oaks N S W
    Married Elsie FISHER in Kempsey 1926
    Died 23/04/1953 in Frederickton N S W
    Occupation - Farmer
    (I also have their 6 children's names)

Hector Bruce Saul
    Born 26/10/1910 in Seven Oaks N S W
    Married Elizabeth WEDLOCK in Kempsey 1934
    Died 19/12/1965 in Ryde, N S W
    Occupation - Factory Hand
    (I also have their 6 children's names)

Frank Leeton Saul
    Born 17/04/1916 in Seven Oaks N S W
    Married Betty BUSCH 19/09/1941 in Kempsey N S W
    Died 15/12/1975 in Macksville N S W
    Occupation - Farmer
    (I also have their 2children's names)

If anyone wants any additional information on these families I'm happy to give them.

I also have details on all 12 children of William Saul & Janet Gray.

I hope this helps someone.

As for the parentage of William (Rachel Saul) & the place Norfolk or Norwich I will get back to you on this when we can read the headstone. As my father is 99% sure it states Norwich. Could be wrong.

Here are the photo's...providing the work..if not email me & I will send them to you.

Kindest regards
    Julie D'Orset-Hodge
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Saul family from Cawston to Kempsey, NSW

Hi Julie

I am not sure if you have followed through with your research on this family, but William Saul (who migrated to NSW) was from Cawston in Norfolk. His parents were William and Mary Ann from Cawston. William did not marry Rachel .... I am unsure where your research is taking you.

I have extensively researched this family and an article appears in the Sole Society magazine which is posted on this website. This will help you with any research on this family. I also have considerable information on William and Janet Saul in Kempsey and their families.

William's headstone definetely states "Native of Norwich", but they probably should have put Native of Norfolk. Names and places did get a little mixed after so many years away from their homeland.

Julie, you may be interested to know that I am writing a history of the families of William and James Saul (from Cawston to Kempsey) up to the second generation in NSW.

Hope this helps

Lorraine

Smile Re: Saul from England - search

Hello, I hope you get this. My name is Angela Slaney, I live in the UK. My family are descended from the Salls/Sauls. The Thomas Sall who married Elizabeth Alexander in 1761 was my great-great-great-great-great grandfather. I have traced this back and know it to be 100 true and accurate. I have more info on the "tree" also. Thought you might like to know. I have also sent this message for the attention of Lorraine Stacker.

Smile Saul family from Cawston

Hello Angela

Lovely to hear from you. Through which line are you descended? As you probably know I have extensively (and continue to do so) our Sall/Saul line. I am descended from Thomas Sall and Elizabeth Alexander (who married in Itteringham in 1761) and lived in Cawston, and their son Thomas, who married Mary Newman. They lived in Cawston. Their son William (1807-1887) married Mary Anne Lowe and they lived in Cawston. Their son William, along with his brother James emigrated to NSW Australia and settled and farmed on the Macleay River at Kempsey.

My home email is lozzystacker@primusonline.com.au

Best wishes
    Lorraine Saul Stacker