Thread: Saul surname article in Soul Search

Default Saul surname article in Soul Search

Hi all

I would like to thank Peter Saul for his interesting article on the distribution of the Saul name in Soul Search (Aug 2006). This kind of research does help us when we are researching our individual families. I am researching my Sall/Saul family from Cawston. The village/location of Salle is very close to Cawston, so my challenge is to trace my family back and see where it takes me.

I have found that the family name pre 1800 was 90% spelt Sall. However, by the 1850s, the new generation were using Saul and the use of Sall was completely gone by 1901. In particular, I am basing this knowlege on parish and manorial records. I do wonder that these changes were effected by literate people recording the family name, such as rectors and court recorders. I would appreciate any observations by others. It is much food for thought. Peter's research is much appreciated.

Lorraine Saul Stacker
    Emu Plains NSW Australia

Default Re: Saul surname article in Soul Search

Lorraine

Thanks for the comments. It was interesting to note that by 1998 there were proportionately more Sauls in Australia than in England, while there were very few in Ireland. There could be many interpretations of that, but one is that the St Patrick connection may be minimal. If I really had to reduce the potential sources right down, I would say that there were probably just the two, i.e. the norse Sjolfr and the village of Salle. There is even a chance that they could be distantly related; Sall was in an area strongly associated with the Vikings. Of course, this is all conjecture, and even techniques such as DNA testing will be of limited value where there are breaks in the line. I know I have one; my ggg grandmother was unmarried.

Peter Saul

Default Re: Saul surname article in Soul Search

Lorraine

I should also have pointed out that the spelling of Sall/Salle the village has changed. Now it is Salle, in the Domesday Book it was Sall. It was in Eynesford Hundred and was held by Godwine, under the King. Interestingly, I have just checked the entry, and found that some of the land at Thurning was held by Ulf, a freeman. Is it just coincidence that Ulf ( a common viking name) is part of Sae-Ulfr, i.e. Sjolfr? You have started me on anothe train of thought, thanks again!

Peter Saul

Smile Re: Saul surname article in Soul Search

Hello, I hope you get this. My name is Angela Slaney, I live in the UK. My family are descended from the Salls/Sauls. The Thomas Sall who married Elizabeth Alexander in 1761 was my great-great-great-great-great grandfather. I have traced this back and know it to be 100 true and accurate. I have more info on the "tree" also. Thought you might like to know.