Thread: Suffolk Sewells

Diana Kennedy Guest

Default Suffolk Sewells

Hi, I am Diana Kennedy and I co-ordinate the Sewell name for the Sole Society. My main area of interest for Sewell is Suffolk.
    I have traced my Sewell family back to the marriage of John Sewell who married Sarah Newson on 15 July 1749 in Carlton near Kelsale in Suffolk, (now know as Kelsale-cum-Carlton). John and Sarah had three daughters followed by son John born in 1759 in Kelsale. John married Elizabeth Kent and they had six sons and two daughters born either in Kelsale or neighbouring Snape. I have traced all eight children and their descendants.
    My problem is who was the father of John? The first mention of the Sewell name I can find in the area is Thomas Sowles mentioned in the Kelsale Parish Records as a parishioner in 1709 and again in 1711. Thomas died in 1728 in Kelsale. The next mention of a Sewell is Bennett Sewell who was buried in Kelsale in 1776. Then there is a James Sewell who married Hannah Cheston in 1764 in Kelsale. I believe Bennett was the father of James as one of his grandsons was also named Bennett. But was Bennett also the father of John. I can find no evidence that James and John were brothers. There is evidence that both John and James owned land in the Kelsale area, but no evidence to actually link them. But I will go on searching!

Wink sewells of Suffolk

do you have any information re:Joseph sewell his son, isaac sewellwas born in Beccles Suffolk Co England Oct 10 1817. He had two Aunts, one L Sewell living in Halesworth England in 1830 and a aunt Sutton possibly living in Norfolk Co and married to a Francis Sutton a chemist for norfolk in 1830. Isaac's father was Joseph and his mother was Maria. Joseph was educated in Stoven in 1790. Joseph's mother was born approximately 1740.
    , Sincerely

charles T. Sewell

Diana Kennedy Guest

Default Suffolk Sewells

Charles
    Only information we have is the marriage of Joseph Sewell amd Maria Brundle and baptism of Isaac.
    Diana

Wink joseph sewell, marriage to maria

Dear Dianna,

Thank you for the reply. Do you know when or where Joseph and Maria were married? Or in what church Isaac was baptized in?

I really appreciate the information about maria. I have been at a dead end in research.

Sincerely,

Charles Sewell

Diana Kennedy Guest

Joseph Sewell married Maria Brundle 3 June 1816 Braiseworth, IGI also gives it as Beccles.
    Isaac was bapt 18 Jan 1818 Independent Church Beccles. Both of these are from the IGI
    Diana

Smile Igi

Dear Diana,
    What is IGI? And how do I access it?

Charlie Sewell

Default Re: Igi

IGI is the International Genealogical Index and you can search it through the Mormon Website http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Sear...set_search.asp
    From a genealogical point of view you need to give most value to those entries which cite a published source such as parish records, for amongst these entries are many posted by members of the Church. These may be useful for guidance but remember that what you want are references to primary sources.