The SEWELL family is in my husband’s family tree. Going backwards, they start with Mary SEWELL who married William WADDINGHAM, a mariner in 1823. Mary was born in 1799, a daughter of John SEWELL and Mary (BARRATT) of Winteringham in Lincolnshire. She had seven siblings.

John SEWELL, born in 1765, was the son of Charles SEWELL and Ann (WOOER) of Winteringham. John SEWELL also had seven siblings.

Charles SEWELL, registered at baptism as Charles SEWELLS was born in 1727 at Frodingham. His parents were Samuel SAWEL and Agnes (DOLBY) and the family lived at Neap House, near Flixborough in the parish of Frodingham, Lincolnshire. There were eleven baptisms of the family recorded at St Lawrence’s Frodingham. Of special interest is the variation in spelling of the surname. Samuel was recorded as SAWEL when he married Agnes DOLBY in 1706 at West Halton, Lincolnshire. Their children’s surnames were spelt (in order) as Jane SEWILL, Thomas SUELLS, Elizabeth SUELS, Sarah SUELS, James SUELS, Ellen SUESLS, Mary SHEWELS, John SHEWELS, James SEWELL, Charles SEWELLS and Agnes SEWELLS. The spelling of the surname quite clearly depended on whoever entered the details in the Register.

After much searching I believe that Samuel SAWEL is the same Samuel born to Samuel SAYWELL and Elizabeth (BENNETT) in 1682 at Worksop, Nottinghamshire.

Samuel SAYWELL, born 1644, was the son of Henry SAYWELL and Ellen BRIGGS who married in 1642/3 at Workshop, Nottinghamshire.

In turn Henry SAYWELL/SEWELL, born in 1615/6, at Worksop, was the son of Christopher SEWELL and probably Marye (BULLIVANT) his second wife.

This is as far as I have managed to trace the tree with the help of my daughter, Anne. I am confident that of the connection between the Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire branches. In every family the first or second daughter always bears the mother’s given name and in most cases, the father’s name was given to a son.

I would love to hear from anyone with a connection to any of the families mentioned.