Thread: Isaac Sawle from Gerrans Cornwall abt 1828

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Anne,

John emailed me to say you were a decendant of Isaac Sawle. I have to say like you the Sole Society provided me with a substantial amount of information and over the last few years i have been able to build on it from my own research. My goal was to track back as far as i could the Cornish Sawles.

I am the decendant of Issac Sawle and Sarah Anderson, an American from Baltimore (picked up from the census) married 14-12-1876 which was Issacs second marrage. Issac and Sarah had 8 children, Charles bn 1878 Ethel bn 1880, Edith bn 1882, Ellen (Sarah Ellen) bn 1877, Emma bn 1886, William bn 1883, Nellie bn 1878 and James bn 1889. Charles was my grandfather.

I have a certified copy of the marriage certificate between Issac and Sarah.

His first marrage with Caroline on the Isle of White was an unconfirmed record I came across almost by accident and that was as much as I knew so your information is really interesting. I was especially interested to find out that they moved to Liverpool to Toxteth. Both marriages would seem to have started the only two lines of Sawles in Liverpool. I knew there was another line in Liverpool but unsure of its origins. This would explain it.

This line of Sawles go back to Gerrans in Cornwall beyond documented records. I visited the village of Gerrans in summer of last year and met a distant cousin who was able to provide me with a lot of information and a local historian who lives in nearby Portscathoe who was equally as helpfull.

The local church there has many on my ancestors (and yours i guess) buried there. I was also shown round a farm house called Parkinvran (Gerrans) which was once owned by my grt.grt grandparents John bn 1786 and Susan Sawle bn 1791. I believe the house was owned by the Sawle line well before the 1700's (so the locals inform me) and that it was eventually lost in a game of cards.

I have some detailed records of my line going back to 1542, so if there is anything I can help you with on this line please do not hesitate to ask.

Default Re: Isaac Sawle from Gerrans Cornwall abt 1828

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Sawle View Post
    Hi Anne,

John emailed me to say you were a decendant of Isaac Sawle. I have to say like you the Sole Society provided me with a substantial amount of information and over the last few years i have been able to build on it from my own research. My goal was to track back as far as i could the Cornish Sawles.

I am the decendant of Issac Sawle and Sarah Anderson, an American from Baltimore (picked up from the census) married 14-12-1876 which was Issacs second marrage. Issac and Sarah had 8 children, Charles bn 1878 Ethel bn 1880, Edith bn 1882, Ellen (Sarah Ellen) bn 1877, Emma bn 1886, William bn 1883, Nellie bn 1878 and James bn 1889. Charles was my grandfather.

I have a certified copy of the marriage certificate between Issac and Sarah.

His first marrage with Caroline on the Isle of White was an unconfirmed record I came across almost by accident and that was as much as I knew so your information is really interesting. I was especially interested to find out that they moved to Liverpool to Toxteth. Both marriages would seem to have started the only two lines of Sawles in Liverpool. I knew there was another line in Liverpool but unsure of its origins. This would explain it.

This line of Sawles go back to Gerrans in Cornwall beyond documented records. I visited the village of Gerrans in summer of last year and met a distant cousin who was able to provide me with a lot of information and a local historian who lives in nearby Portscathoe who was equally as helpfull.

The local church there has many on my ancestors (and yours i guess) buried there. I was also shown round a farm house called Parkinvran (Gerrans) which was once owned by my grt.grt grandparents John bn 1786 and Susan Sawle bn 1791. I believe the house was owned by the Sawle line well before the 1700's (so the locals inform me) and that it was eventually lost in a game of cards.

I have some detailed records of my line going back to 1542, so if there is anything I can help you with on this line please do not hesitate to ask.
    Hi, My name is Philip James Sawle. I was born in Broadgreen, Liverpool in 1948 and lived at Knotty Ash. I was the fourth son of Cyril James Sawle (1910-2004). I understand that I too, am a direct descendant if Isaac Behenna Sawle through his first marriage to Caroline. His son, George Manley (1854-1894) had a son named George Burford Sawle (1881-1947) who was my grandfather. I have information of the line back to 1542 but my information is pretty scarce. Anything you could add would be very much appreciated.